• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Choosing the Right Flasher Unit

Matt Johnson

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

redrocket,

You will enjoy the MarCum. I see you're from Mankato, I'll be moving down there tomorrow. We might have to meet up sometime this winter and put our MarCum's to use...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Jus a quick note, I bought a LX-3 unit last week with the high speed transducer and used it for the first time this weekend and WOW am I sold what a cool tool. I was a FL-8 guy before and thought that thing was great, but the LX-3 is in a totally different class. I am sure this new LX-5 will be great but I will be very satisfied with the LX-3 for years to come I hope.

Jay R

First of all... thanks for sending me the link to this thread Matt.

Secondly... I'm mildly color blind. The sharper colors found on the latest Vexilars (FL8 and FL-18 SE models) are a world of improvement over the older models to my color blind eyes. The shaper contrasting colors simply stand out much better.

Do the LX-3's have as sharp of colors as the new Vexilar SE's?

One nudge against the Marcums.... using yellow, orange, and red is a little tougher on my color blind eyes than the yellow, green and red of the Vexilars.

Wadinator,

I have used the LX-3 for a couple of years now. In the last year I lost some of my eye sight in my right eye, due to a baseball crazy.gif I am currently using a Vexilar FL-8SE and boy.. do I know notice a different with Vexilars colors, compaired to MarCums LX-3. When I lean back on my chair when icefishing its harder to tell the dfferent colors. But with my Vex.. No Trouble! My suggestion is Go to a Gander Mountain and look at the Vex and Marcums they have and look at them from a distance. Good Luck!

Thank you for your extremely informative post, Matt. This winter will be my first time fishing with a flasher of my own. I've used my buddy's FL-8 before and I really liked it. I had read about the Marcum LX-3 and I liked what I read, but I was leaning towards getting the FL-8 because it's cheaper. But your post swayed me. After really considering the differences and what I would primarily be doing with my flasher (40 ft. of water, mostly crappie fishing), I realized that I would definitely benefit from having the LX-3 and I went and bought one. I can't wait to go try it out!

By the way, I found a good deal for one at one store online for $300. That's a lot less than anywhere else that I've seen. If anyone wants the url, let me know.

DaveyG,

You will like the LX-3, and at $300 the price is tough to beat. Fishing for crappies in 40 feet is going to be a whole lot easier.

Seeing that you're from Minneapolis, I'll probably be planning several early ice outtings in the Metro Area, it would be nice to see you there and I'd be happy to help with any questions you have about your new MarCum first hand. We can toy around with a few schools of pannies...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

this will be my first year fishing with my own flasher also. i did alot of trips up to mile lacs last year with buddies who had the FL-8 and they out fished me every time. i bought the LX-1. i got it for 225 brand new. i thought about gettin the LX-3 but after buying a new portable and a brand new snowmobile to pull it. the LX-1 was more in my price range. i cant wait to use it this winter. cant wait for ice now. good luck to everyone.

iceman

Matt, I'll be paying attention regarding ice outings this year, and I'd say there's a pretty fair chance I'll get myself and my crew out to a few. I saw posts regarding events last year, but I failed to attend. I tend to be one of those guys who stays warm in his wood stove super-heated permanent shack. But this year I could see me venturing out to explore more.

I just had a small boat fire and my FL8, which I used on my MinnKota, got melted and needs to be replaced. I was planning to upgrade to the FL18 but now I will have to consider the LX-3. It will also be used ice fishing, mostly in the Metro area, with at least one trip planned up to Upper Red and LOW. Thanks for the posts!!

Does anyone know if they sell Marcums at Cabelas? I have a $150 gift card there and that would put a nice dent in the total price. I didn't see any on the HSOforum but there are some products that they have in store and not online or in the catalog.

I checked out the URL you provided but the HSOforum doesn't provide much information about what is included with the unit. They also don't provide their phone number. Did you receive everything you need including charger, transducer, case, other stuff? Thanks for your input.

There was a recent thread on another forum that said Cabela's was selling these LX-3s in there bargain hunter flier for $255. They were shipped with missing parts, including the charger and some other things but after a call to customer service the guys received everything. I didn't get that flier. Wish I did.

It was a mistake in the ad and some guys capitalized on it. Now, they have $240 into it without some of the original Marcum products. I still think the $299 you can get one (the complete Marcum system) for is a very good price.