• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

?'s for pit-fishing experts

I have a couple questions for people who fish pits more than I do. I'm fishing a pit that has a max depth of 40 ft., about 15-20 acres and is crystal clear, even in the dead of summer. I know there are some nice bluegills in it and I've picked up a few nice largemouth on surface lures, but I can't get those bluegills anywhere. I've trolled the entire shoreline and 15 feet out it drops straight down all over with a few weeds on the drop off. I've tried the weed edges with slip bobbers and crawlers and come up with nothing. It is also populated with silver bass, they can be caught cruising the deep water on minnows, but I'd love to get some big gills out of here. Any tips for me? I'm a pretty good gill fisherman, but I've never fished a body of water quite like this. BTW, it's Hallet's (Carlson's) pit NW of Geneva, in case any of you ever fish it.

Thanks for your help.

Selmer

i can't offer much for tips.( my uncle from bradford has the same problem there) you may try fishing at dusk/ dark to see if that works. or try verticle jigging with plastics/ wax worms,??? and see if you can find the depth that the fish maybe holding.

Do you know where the fish are? Or is that the question you are asking? Personally, I would: Use tiny string, fish small worms on or close to bottom, plan on keeping what i caught cause many will swallow the hook. Or just wait until ice when they are probably easier to catch. Clear water usually means tiny tiny string is necessary. Good luck