Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sonar/GPS

3 posts in this topic

I am looking at getting a combination Sonar?GPS unit and am completly lost.I want the best sonar I can get with a GPS that I can use Lakemaster software with.I also want to be able to plot courses and need it to be user friendly.I am currently looking at the Lowrance LMS240 map.Is this a good unit or should I go with something a little better.

Do they still make the GPS units that you plug a little cartridge in that has maps downloaded onto them?

fishhead-
if you truly want the best of both worlds you are much better off buying the 2 units (GPS, Sonar) seperately, this although you will definitely pay more total. Sure the combined unit saves on space but... From what I have seen & used they are a really big hassle, now I have only used them twice so maybe I just wasn't used to the equipment but I found them really hard to operate. Also the unit I was using was really slow, this was because in the split-screen mode you could barely see anything on either map, so I ended up switching back and forth between the 2 maps. It was disastrous! Now this was 2 years back so hopefully technology has improved. Now if you really have your mind set on this GPS/Sonar combo then I would definitely reccomend Lowrance. I have had nothing but good experiences with my X-85, I've had it for 2 years and no problems at all. Although if you were to go with a GPS/Sonar unit I would reccomend that you put down the extra buck and go for the lcX-15MT GPS or the lcX-16CI Complete. Now that lcX-16CI, is that ever a neat deal, I have a friend who purchased one last spring, I originally thought the extra money spent was a waste but, to my suprise it was the easiest locator to read that I have ever seen. We didn't have to spend time chasing weak signals that the sonar unit might mark as a fish on other units. It was a great unit but, unfortunately it is really expensive and I for one do not have that kind of money to plop down on a sonar/GPS... unfortunately.
Hope this helps,
Mr Fisherman