• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jiffy blade shimming--need help!

BradB

Question

Hi,

I have a 2 HP Jiffy Legend Lightning that is on its 3rd season. I have changed blades 3 or 4 times since I bought it.

This weekend I had trouble getting the blade to catch the ice, so I changed it to a new sharp one. The problem persisted. It will cut, but I have to push down hard.

I've heard that you may need to shim the blade somewhat to get the angle correct. I don't know how to do this, or what angle to shim it at.

Is there anyone out there who has had this problem and might not mind giving me a tip or two? Thanks!

Brad

3 answers to this question

Brad, I've got a mod.30 and what ive done is to take a piece of tin the length of the part of the blade that bolts on the auger aprox 2.5"x 1/4", then loosen the 2 bolts and slide the shim in on the cutting side of the blade,to the bolts, re tighten, you shouldnt need more than 1 thickness, another thing is make sure the centering point is sharp, thats probly what yer prob was?!

Right on, Minneman! That's exactly what I was looking for.

And you're right, the centering point is not sharp. Do you just take a file to it?

I just brought it back from LOTW and thawed it in the bathtub. It was caked with ice and I couldn't see that that centering point wasn't sharp.

One more thing. Upon further review I found that one of the welds holding the centering point was broken. It wasn't obvious, but with a bit of wiggling you can detect it. That might have been a big part of my problem.

I took it to a tool shop that we do work with, here at work. They're going to fix the weld and sharpen the point. That ought to get me going.

Brad