• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Law and pet gamefish

Valv

Question

I would like to know what the law says regarding keeping a gamefish as a pet in an aquarium ? Reason is I got a small walleye today and I would like to keep it in an aquarium (not Cabelas style, but somehow nice). Last year I did read somebody had some as pets.

I assume they will eat some minnows and grubs, but I will study on their feeding in captivity.

Thanks guys......and Wally is 6 " long, don't get hot on it grin.gif

Val
boat.gif

6 answers to this question

HIya Valv!
Glad ta hear ya found some fish(albeit a small one! wink.gif )!
Since you , Virg & I didn't seem to be "holding our mouths right"on Saturday morning.
wink.gif

Open the 2001 Mn. Fishing regs book....
Look on page 27 third paragraph down in Subsection heading
Possessing & Transporting Fish
It answers your question.
I'll try & "cut/Paste"it from the MnDNR site too!

Nice name too! What ever made ya think of
"WALLY"?
wink.gif

------------------
Good Luck & Watch your bobber!
MnSportsman
Proud to be a member in good standing, of the
"Church of the Divine Wilderness"!
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by MnSportsman (edited 12-30-2001).]

Pet shops sell them and you get a permit with it to transport them. Ive had game fish for years in a 55 gallon tank.I got rid of them because they are alot of work. You have to feed them more than tropical. And you have to run to the bait shop often. Crappie minnows work best. Dont feed it any live fish from a pet shop. They will choke on worms and leeches until they get bigger. They also grow fast in a room temperature tank. But it can be rewarding if you have the time to take care of them. Watch how the walleye will roam the tank when the lights go out...

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

Here's the direct quote from the MnDNR site:
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fish_and_wildlife/regulations/fishing2000/genrestr.html

quote:

For purposes of display in a home aquarium, a person age 16 or under may transport

largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, yellow perch, rock bass, black crappie, white crappie,

bluegill, pumpkinseed, green sunfish, orange spotted sunfish, and black, yellow, and brown

bullhead taken by angling. No more than four of each species may be transported at any one

time, and any individual fish can be no longer than 10 inches in total length.

Have fun, & I'll probably be seeing ya in a day or two!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by MnSportsman (edited 12-30-2001).]

MnSportsman, thank you for rthe nice morning catching a LOT OF FISH..... grin.gif

In the afternoon I decided to change lake and these small walleyes keep following me, no matter where I go, I have them snatching my minnows. If they all survive, it's gong to be a great wallaye lake.....in 5 to 10 years rolleyes.gif

Anyway I caught one I want to keep, and proudly named it Wally.....my wife says I don't even call her "honey"....yes the name is not original, but I am going today to get a tank today. The article from DNR doesn't mention Walleye.

I always have leftover minnows, and I will try to get a baby bass next year, if wally survuves (looks like he's doing fine, I put a couple of large shiners to keep company).

Thanks guys, now I feel better.

Val

boat.gif

[This message has been edited by Valv (edited 12-31-2001).]

I know you can pocess live gamefish for use in an aquarium. They have to be under 10" and must be included in your possession limit of that species. I assume you do need a permit to transport the live fish, but not sure.
We have many fish in aquariums in the Bemidji State Aquatic Biology lab. It's really interesting how they act together (bass are usually the most aggressive towards other fish and will "stake out" their own personal space).
It is hard to keep on top of feeding and cleaning of the tanks. Crappie minnows or larger fatheads work well for most species.
The best bet to check on the laws is to go into or call your local DNR headquarters. They can get you all of the information you need.

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com