• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Orioles

buzzsaw

Can someone tell me why I'm not seeing Orioles lately? It seems every year in late June, they disapear. They aren't heading south already, are they? I've got a family of Cardinals feeding their youngsters in the back yard. The young ones look alot like female Redwing blackbirds. I never noticed before... (I want a camera!)

From some reading I did awhile back, their diet this time of year apparently can change from nectar, jelly, orange halves, etc., to mealworms & other insects on the loose especially when feeding their young. Last year I had orioles at the feeder on through August. This year, am seeing the more typical slump in activity noted other years in this part of the state. There's still some nectar being consumed but at a much slower pace. Have only noticed the male at the feeder. Mealworms are likely spendy and the house sparrow population here would likely devour them before the orioles ever got a shot.

For the last few days we have been entertaining four juvenile orioles at our feeders. An orange and four tablespoons of jelly a day now. The jugs gets changed (filled) every other with their nectar.

As in past years, when we get the young ones they are quite tame and will allow us to egt withing six feet or so if we stay quiet. These young'uns will stay now until the parents go south and we can watch the color change as they gradually brighten up.

Orioles are my favorite yard bird, followed by the scarlet tanagers and indigo buntings.