• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BIRD IDENTIFICATION

MedicDan

Ok I have IDed over 300 species of birds, I took some pictures, but I have to wait to get them developed. This one is confusing! It's bill is about 2-2.5 inches long! It is about 1.25x the size of a robin. It is Red(not cardinal red) more mahogany/red together. Kind of looks like a stilt, although the undertail coverts and its rump are all white. It also has some yellow on its tail spots. Please if any one has some info....

Hmmm. I'd like to see that photo. If it's the size/bill type you say and it does look like a black-necked stilt, that probably makes it some type of shorebird. Most of them, however, that fit your description, like a red phalarope, tend to migrate through Minnesota and not breed here.

Do you have more details, such as habitat type it was seen in, behavior, etc? The mahogany color you mention — was it solid or speckled, and were the wings the same color, and so on and so on? I'm sure someone here can figure it out if I can't. Looks like a good bunch of birders on this board.

I took 10 pictures at about 15 feet away. I have to wait awhile for them to get developed, there not digital frown.gif

It was really moist on the ground. It was hanging under a cedar tree, then it jumped up and flew about 3 feet, then landed. This is what it did the whole time. More colors- the side of each wing was lined with black lines.

Well, it'll be interesting to see what it was. Really doesn't sound like a shorebird, considering you saw it under cedar trees, which to me says shady cool woods. That's not your typical shorebird habitat, although cedars do grow along lakeshores (also not your typical shorebird habitat, except for a couple species that don't match your description). Let us know more when you get the pics back.

If there's still no ID after you get them and give us a more complete description, you could snail mail it to someone on this board or have it scanned in at most photo development places and post the digital image on the board for all to figure out. If that's not an option, shoot me an e-mail for my address. I can scan it in my studio and e-mail a jpeg back to you for posting here.

I have a scanner, so that won't be a problem, the pictures just need to get developed now. I don't know if this helps for you guys iding this: I live right across the road from the mississippi river. The pictures, I will say ahead of time are somewhat blurry, but you get a good size, and color desc. off of them.

Hmmm, thinking of your handle and and knowing that it rhymes with a specific species of bird, could your species in question be a brown thrasher? Its bill isn't 2 to 2.5 inches long, but it does seem longer than average, and the color could be about right, though I'd call it more of a rust than a mahogany. They like fairly thick cover, but do come out into the open now and then.

Sctfish, my bet's with you. Thrasher. I saw one fly in front of the vehichle a couple of days ago. They sure do give the impression of a longer bill than they realy have. Kind of a brown bird caracatcher.

Ohhh, Big Log was a great song by Robert Plant!! tongue.gif They are secretive! I can hardly ever get a picture of these guys up close. They love the peanut butter suet I put out... it falls to the ground at the base of the Oak tree all aroung a giant Hosta and these birds jump all over the place picking up the small pieces of suet that has fallen to the ground.