• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what is it?

knoppers

I seen two cranes in a plowed field today west of milaca, they were brownish with red on top of there heads. I first thought they were sandhill cranes, but I believe they are grey in color. any idea of what they were? I did take a couple pictures with my digital camera, but photos did not look the best, plus I still have not been able to post a digital picture on this site as yet.

I vote for sandhills. Lets check with the judges. I wonder if they can have color variations? I have seen some pretty good size flocks around Millaca in the fall, also over N. of Wyoming (MN).

heres the poor picture, a little far out and blury

cranes.jpg

I got my digitals to work finally, it took some time, but did it. I was able to resize by right clicking the picture. I was trying to use a different site to resize, no more.

My brother has a 3 megapix. I would say get a 4 if your not a pro. I use mine for fishing and it works great. Some people on this site like Buzzsaw might have something better though, His picture look alot better then mine do.

MInes a waterproof olympus $300.

I only have a two mega pixel... but Fuji rounds off there pixels instead of having them squared off like everybody else I am told. I have tried the Nikon Coolpix and Sony Mavica models and they were decent as well... I just kinda prefer the Fuji Finepix... consumer reports likes them as well. But in the end it's all personnal preference as alot of them are very similar. I'm glad you like the pictures I've posted... it might be a while before I get any new ones as the forecast looks nasty for a while and I usually try to take pictures in optimal lighting situations.

I think I need moore practice, Buzzsaw youre shots are always so clear. Maybee I need to read my directions a little more. Do you use an auto focus on yours, or do you do it yourself. I just hold the button for a second at the half way point and then take the photo.

I use a Fuji finepix s5000,3.2 megapixels(however if i set the camera to "RAW" mode,it takes 6 megapixels by a form of interpolation(adding pixels electronically to inhance the existing photo)..i never use the 6 meg feature because it takes up all my "xd card " space...i have a couple 128 meg cards that i can take "about" 100 or so photos on the card set at the 3.2 meg setting and if i turn on the 6 meg mode,i'll only get about 12 pics on that entire card!yes the pics are somewhat clearer but not really that much...i've found that a 3.2 meg camera takes excellent photos!.almost crystal clear!...i also incorporate a teleconverter lens for those "far away " shots(olympus t-con 1.7)added to my fuji's already 10x zoom, i get a total of 17 times magnification(this is all "mechanical zooming) no digital zooming which i never use..i find digital zooming much fuzzier and not really clear..lenses are the way to go!..maybe next year i'll get the s7000.....6 megs grin.gif

Thanks again [pleasebecomeasponsor]. I have gone back and forth between auto focus and manual... I also have mine set up to match the outdoor light conditions. I think thats an important thing to remember and it only takes a minute to make the correct adjustment to your digi camera. Johnny Redhorse, I know which digi you have and they are nice.

Fishface5

The question is not about pixels. There are many things to consider about digital photography, and pixel count is but one aspect of the big picture. The first question, and most important question is how much do you want to spend. That is not meant in jest--if you really want a good camera, you will have to pay for it. With film camera's a $150. SLR is capable of taking the exact same photo that You could take with a $2000.00 F5. That is absolutely not true with digital. There are craploads of differences between digital cameras, in the way that they take the photo, record the photo, and also in the way the sensor is capable of handling the information. There is also format to consider, and the biggest thing to consider is how much time do you want to sit in front of your computer, playing with the photos you've taken in order to make them right--(and that is only possible if you shoot in a raw format). You can do piddly adjusting to photos with Programs like paint shop pro etc... but if your actually looking at it from a photography standpoint there are far more things to consider. If you are just looking for a camera to take with you in the boat for snapshots than that too is a completely different issue. If you could let me know #1 what is your ultimate goal for the camera, and #2 what are you willing to spend--I can help you with information.

Tom W