• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Number of birds you've seen?

MedicDan

I'm just interested in seeing how long a person has birded, and how many each person has gotten.

I've birded for 4 years and have got pictures, and seen personaly more then 290 birds. How about you?

Crasher,

I don't think you'll find too many "listers" around here--despite my best efforts to convert them smirk.gif, but I've got several lists I keep...

Total species seen: 231

My wife's total: 120

Minnesota: 226

Itasca County: 172

2005: 175

Chippewa National Forest: 102

My yard: 52

Today in Koochiching County: 28 species, including 2 Great Gray Owls, 2 Black-billed Magpies, and a bunch of Connecticut Warblers. grin.gif

How's that for a synopsis? crazy.gif

I'm just getting into bird watching and had a good day today and didn't even have to leave my yard. LOL I saw a common nighthawk sitting on top of a telephone pole, baltimore oriels, red throated hummingbirds, house finches, chipping sparrows, a grackle, robins, a starling, and a pigeon. The house finches were even eating some oranges that I have out for the oriels. I'll try to post a pic of the nighthawk although it's not as good as what I've seen here.

Brian

I just took a look at my list, and since the start of the year (January 1st) my count is at 94 seperate species. I've always, been into birds, but I didn't actually start feeding them and keeping track of them until last fall. I started my list on January 1st to keep track of the species I will see for the year. Currently I have 11 feeders in the backyard, and 2 in the front. I am feeding around 11 species daily, and kept an average of 15 species per day during the cold winter months. I enjoy it immensely, but I'm only really into it during the gap between hunting season and ice out, as I just don't get into ice fishing. I spend most of my time photographing the birds over the winter, and estimate that I took over eight thousand photos this winter alone.

When I was in 8th or 9th grade in Brainerd, we had a teacher named Mr. Perry from New Zealand. He could've been the croc hunters brother. We would go out every day during the trimester, weather permitting, and walk around town for 2 hours trying to find birds. We ended the trimester with a grand total of 175 birds spotted within a 3 mile radius of the school. Most of them were spotted down near a boat landing to the Mississippi. It was one of the best classes I've ever had.

I've been birding off and on for 32 years. My life list stands between 350 and 400 (would have to check records to be sure). Most of those were found in and around eastern North Dakota, which is a great place for birding. You get western species and woodland species during migration. I have more than 250 species in the first five years, almost all within the Red River Valley. Now, even though I live in a place that has the greatest concentration of nesting warbler species in the United States, I haven't even added a warbler species to my life list since moving here because I saw them all along the Red River in my teens. Eventually added a bunch through the central and southern plains and Rockies on trips and from living at 10,000 feet in Colorado, and made a trip to the Texas gulf coast that helped, too.

Birding trips to the east and west coasts, not to mention out to sea, would easily add another 50 to 75 species, but I've never been to those places. Be nice to get there, eventually, but even seeing the same species over and over again never loses its thrill.

It sure is a great pastime. Been feeding birds off and on all that time, too. And that's another fun deal.

Now I've spent the last two years in my spare time with camera in hand shooting birds, among other wildlife, for my nature photography business.

Sheesh, every time I cough, it feels like feathers come out. tongue.gif

Didn't even kow this board was on FM until a little while ago. Just when you think you've seen it all, Rick comes up with another topic board. laugh.gif