• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wheel Bearing Repacking - 101

Dave

Question

There have been a few questions about repacking wheel bearings so I thought I’d highlight the basic steps that I use. Feel free to throw in other hints, even corrections, as well.

Repacking wheel bearings is pretty easy, inexpensive, takes about an hour to do but, it could get messy. Have plenty of rags available. wink

First, loosen the lug nuts on the wheel you’ll be working on. Breaking free the lug nuts with a hand wrench, while the tire is off the ground, is very difficult to do. Now, jack up that side of the trailer so the wheel is off the ground. Make sure the trailer is supported securely and completely remove the lug nuts and wheel.

Next, remove the bearing buddy or dust cap. Do this by lightly tapping on the outer edge, alternately all the way around the perimeter, using a rubber mallet. Using a metal hammer and wood block also works well.

Now, remove the cotter pin, axle nut and washer. The hub assembly can now slide off the axle. Remember to catch the outside bearing as you slide the hub off the axle. Wipe off and discard old grease. Next, remove the bearing seal on the backside of the hub. Damaging this seal while removing it is unavoidable. Plus, a new seal should be installed anyway and is less than $3. After the seal is removed, remove the inner bearing. Wipe clean all bearings and the inside of the hub of old grease.

Inspect the bearings, race (this is the part in the hub where the bearings ride in) and the axle. ALL parts should be knick and pit-free. If the bearings or race are pitted, buy new ones! If the axle is pitted, it should be polished down to remove any pits or gouges. Steel wool might work well for this.

Axle clean

axlesmooth1cb.jpg

Bearing race is free from pits and scratches. (I happen to knock out this race from the hub while tapping out the seal. Usually, the race will stay inside the hub)

smoothrace9vh.jpg

Packing the bearings with grease the old fashioned way is easy but a little messy. Lay a glob of grease on the palm of one hand. With the bearing in the other hand, push the bottom side of the bearing into the outside edge of the pile of grease in the other hand. Think of it as slicing the pile of grease with the bottom edge of the bearing.

pack3qk.jpg

As you do this, new grease will be “packed” into the bearing and old grease will be pushed out of the top of the bearing. Continue packing new grease all the way around the bearing until you see new grease being forced out of the top of the bearing.

Old bearing grease being forced out the top of bearing while being "packed" with new grease.

packpushout7br.jpg

Installing the inside bearing first, spread some grease onto the race and set the packed bearing in.

This photo shows an unpacked bearing for clarity. Pack the bearing first.

bearingfit29qb.jpg

Next, align the new seal into the hub and gently tap it in, level with the hub.

alignseal7qh.jpg

tapsealin0mb.jpg

The inside bearing is done. Proceed to pack the outer bearing the same way.

Slide the hub assembly onto the axle. Push some grease into the hub housing. Install the outer bearing, washer and axle nut.

full-243-6003-bearing1.jpg

Firmly, but not aggressively, torque the axle nut until the bearings “seat” into its race and new grease. Loosen the axle nut only until the cotter pin slot on the axle nut matches up with the cotter pin hole in the axle. The hub should spin somewhat freely now. Make sure you install the cotter pin to hold the axle nut in place. If you forget, the axle nut would loosen and the whole hub and wheel assembly might pass you on the freeway someday. crazy

Reinstall the bearing buddy or dust cap by lightly tapping it into the hub.

bearingbuddy4ye.jpg

Reinstall wheel and you should be good to go, on one side. Now, go do the other hub. grin

Cost

Two new seals – $4 to $5

Grease (Marine wheel bearing)– less than $3

Time ~ 1 hour

I hope this helps somebody smile

darthbaiter. jack your trailer up and see if the warm side is loose. just grab on to the wheel and see if it wobbles at all. sometimes who ever last redid the wheel barings might not have tightened the nut correctly. best bet is to just put new bearings on.

grease heats up and expands when you take your traler on the road. for you bearing buddy guys when you get to the lake your dust cap will be pushed out. then when the hub hits the water the grease contracts and will suck water in the seal side or if you have bearing buddys the grease will contract and the dust cap will suck in a bit.

some guys say to put a pump or 2 in each bearing buddy before you back the traler in the water to make sure you dont suck water in. be carefull though if you pump to much grease in you will push the seal out on the back side.

just a thought.

I wipe the grease off the bearings and races then wash with gas. Dry them good and inspect.

If there is any pitting or what looks like stains its time to replace them.

The seals should be replaced every time you take the bearings out.

Write down the part# on both the seal and bearings and replacements.

Pick up some waterproof wheel bearing grease while your there.

When you remove the hubs remember to clean the back side of the hub, spindle, and axle real good, also. If the seal is leaking, and this happens often, grease will collect on the rear area and collect dirt. This makes quite a layer of crud. This crud layer retains heat like nobodies business and will lessen the life of your bearings.

To answer the replace vs repack question.....I just replaced mine. When you have them clean, check for play or "Tracking". If they track, replace them. If the race has wear marks, replace them. If things are looking good, repack and put them back in, with a new seal. When I replace bearings, I replace the race also. Some guys don't, but you really should.

Seals are only a couple bucks.

A tip on a deal o hub and axle maintenance gear. Gander had some clearance Hub Kits marked down as cheap as $29.97. Complete hub and hearing kits in a case. For a whole kit, that is dirt cheap. Very wise to have a spare on hand, especially at that price.

Also remember to carry all the tools with you needed to replace the bearings if stuck out on the road. I carry the following every trip I take with the snowmobile or boat trailer:

Extra bearings and seals

grease gun

jack

Tire iron

Wrench and needle nose plier to get nut and cotter pin off

Screwdriver to knock of bearing cover or bearing buddy

Hammer

File or Emery cloth to clean any rough edges of spindle

Hack saw or chisel to cut off old inside of old bearing

It never fails. Your bearing will go out in a inconvenient place. It usually happens on the way to your destination when you are looking forward to having a good time. Be prepared and limit the downtime.

Little tip to prevent someone else from having to go through what I did last summer...check your lug nuts after 20 miles, and probably once at 100 miles after you put the tires back on. Not that fun to see a tire pass you on the road when you're going 60mph!

Great idea on having a spare hub and bearings along for the trip, cheap insurance! The one thing I would add.

If you plan on using bearing buddies and a "marine" bearing grease, I would check the grease on a packaged set, to see if the bearings had been pre-packed with the "normal" thick and gooey grease. Bearing buddies do not like the thick and gooey.

One other thing for replaceing races, i take a used race grind it to fit the shaft so i can get it off then use that race to push the new race in the hub. works great when on the road driving them out in the mud. Jeff

Great tip! This is really a good idea. I ground a little off the outside of my two old races and used them to pound in the new races. They are really a tight fit and you can ruin everything without the right tools. The ground-down races worked great. Just make sure they slide in and out easily before you hammer on one to pound in the new race.

I had some time at work the other day and brought my hubs in with new races seals,and bearings and proceeded to do my "government" job there. Got this special just what I thought I needed grease out of the tool crib. After it was all said and done I found out it was plain ol multi purpose grease. Hows this going to work out ??

I ground a little off the outside of my two old races and used them to pound in the new races. They are really a tight fit and you can ruin everything without the right tools. The ground-down races worked great. Just make sure they slide in and out easily before you hammer on one to pound in the new race.

I've replaced plenty of bearings in my day and always dreaded seating new races. I read through this thread and the above tip is the biggest time saver I've ever come across. I did just as described above instead of tapping the race in with a punch. It worked fantastic! I used a large socket for the driver.

I spose I could. wink

Just been doing it with a punch for so long it was routine. Taking a few minutes on the bench grinder to turn junk into something usable was a tool time atta boy though. Plus it gave more value to my 36mm hub socket that I hopefully only had to use once. smile

Was snooping around different topics and thought of one thing to add here.

As a DNR fish tech, every fall we repack 7 boat trailers. Every one that's been in the water from a 2 year old trailer to a 30 year old trailer had water in the hub no matter how many times the trailer had been in the water. There is no visible water in the hub, but light gray grease that indicates bearing grease mixed with water and churned at highway speeds. That provided enough motivation to do my own boat trailer annually.

And don't let a bearing buddy give you a false sense of security. The trailers with those were no different than those without.