Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Sky

Repairing tears in Otter skins?

5 posts in this topic

What have found was the best way to repair tears in the skin? I have an "L" shape tear in mine. About 1 1/2" each side. I bought some repair material and thought about cutting a square piece to cover it and applying Marine Goop. Thanks for your replies.

Use canvas and Tear Mender. Round off the edges on the canvas. Put a piece of canvas on both sides.

I have more patches than unpatched space on mine.

You can get tear mender at Fleet Farm.

Here is what I have found to be a good, weather proof mend. I think this is the same thing "92python" was refering to.

This came from the cabela's online catalog.

Tear Mender Item: IE-015920
Price: $9.99

Qty:

Tear Mender
This natural latex non-toxic adhesive permanently bonds to leather, cotton, acrylic and other porous materials for a strong, flexible weather-proof repair. Use the included patching section or the patching material of your choice to form a waterproof, UV-resistant bond that will never wear out, or simply apply to a puncture or tear to seal the threads. Repair is fully functional within 30 minutes.

I bought some iron patches and ironed them on from the inside and outside. They have held on good sofar. Only cost about 80 cents apiece.

I had a 6" L shape tear in my Otter and I took it to a place that works on canvas. It only cost me $10, and the person stitched it up and sealed it. He did a way better job than I would have ever done.