• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Open water walleye reels?

bmc

Question

I'm looking at buying 2 new reels for open water walleye fishing. I'm looking at the Abu Garcia Cardinal 500. Has anyone had any experience with these? I'd be using them for jigging and lindy rigging. Thanks for the info.

bmc

8 answers to this question

Unfortunately, I have no experience with those reels. I would want to make sure I have "infinite anti-reverse", rear drag, and trigger. I'd also make sure that when the bail is open it doesn't take too much to get the bail to flip over to pick up line. I have a few ice fishing reels that I actually can harldly get the bail to flip closed unless I use my hand to manually flip it. That's what I get for leaving everything in my boat rod lockers and being too lazy to uncover it and get the reels out, bought new reels instead.

I agree with Northlander on the Okumas. Last year, I switched over all my rods to the Inspira. They perform just as well as the Stradics, but for $40 less.
I haven't had a single problem with these reels.

------------------
-FNC

"get on the natch"

100% of my reels are Shimano, I don't spend the big $, I think the average price of my reels is in the neighborhood of $60. And I have 12 different length/action rods, I've never had a problem with any of them over the last 25 years.

Ole

bmc
Go to a sporting goods store that cares a full line of reels. Try the ones in your price range.. Garcia, Shimano, Diawa, any of the well known Mfg's.. Front drag ,instant anti-reverse, four or more ball bearings..
They all look good but cosmetics don't make a good fishing tool.. When ya walk out of the store, you and only you have to be satisfied..By the way the new Shimano Symetre is my choice..Smooooth
Don