• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help! Need tires.

Question

I am now entering my 5th winter with a '96 Ford Conversion van (on F 150 chassis). I have 90,000 miles on the vehicle.

Here's the problem -- the first two winters I had no traction problems whatsoever with the Goodyear tires that came from the factory. I replaced them in the 40,000 mile range with a new set of the same tires. But, the second set is horrible in snow or on any slippery surface. I've got to get a new set of tires, but don't know what to do.

Anyone out there with a similar vehicle, e.g. Ford pickup F150 or van, who has had good performance. Obviously, this is a rear wheel drive vehicle.

I went to vans years ago because I've found them to be great tow vehicles for my boat. And, they can't be beat for trips. However, I have tires on the beast now that won't let me travel if there's any snow or ice at all.

I need advice. Input greatly appreciated.

6 answers to this question

Try the radial WideTrack "BAJA" series of tires at Mills Fleet Farm stores. I can't remember the complete name right now. (Even though I have been using them for over 10 years on My P/U trucks & a van.)
They're very reasonable in price & have excellent treadwear. When I get a chance, I'll post the full name & mnftr of these tires.
Good Luck!

------------------
Good Luck & Watch your bobber!
MnSportsman
Proud to be a member in good standing, of the
"Church of the Divine Wilderness"!
;)

Thanks much for the info. We have a Fleet Farm just 20 miles away, so it would be no sweat.

I didn't get 50,000 out of either set of Goodyears, and they were rated at 60,000 -- and, a lot more expensive than the prices you listed for the Duralons. Thanks again.

The Manufacturer is Duralon
the name of the tires are
Widetrack Radial Baja All Terrain tires.They are rated for 50,000 miles(But I think they last much longer)
The prices range /per tire from
$57.95 for a P225/70614SL to
$98.95 for a LT265/75R16D
These prices are for Tubeless/Raised white walls. Obviously Blackwalls are cheaper, but they may not have the size you need.
These tires would be my choice. As I said before, they perform well for me & the costs are reasonable to me.
Hope I helped.
smile.gif

------------------
Good Luck & Watch your bobber!
MnSportsman
Proud to be a member in good standing, of the
"Church of the Divine Wilderness"!
;)

buddies & I use Bridgestone Duelers At's & ATX's or Goodyear Wranglers. All hunt and fish heavily... pull boats, and most of the guys w/ the Bridgestone's are contractors and are constantly haulin gear and runnin over nails, chisels, etc. no problems... tread lasts forever it seems.

Just wanted to throw out another idea for you. I had huge problems with traction with the factory Firestone's on my 1994 Ranger. I would get hung up in 2" of fresh snow--it was like I had slicks on.

I wanted a good snow/mud tire for winter travel, hunting in the fall and maybe spring hunting for turkeys. I bought some cheaper white steel spoke rims and mounted on them some heavy treaded snow/mud tires. Did the whole thing for around $150. The treadwear on the tires is not good during warm months because they are made of soft, gripping rubber, however, I only put them on from October through April. They are in their fourth season, I can take them on and off myself with ease and, most importantly, they work! Granted, my rims don't match, but that never seems to be important at the time that one is stuck.

Good luck.

I have the Bridgestone Duelers on my truck and I love them. They are great on the ice and snow. I have put 50,000 thousand on them and they still look like new! From past experience I have noticed there is less road noise with the Bridgestone. They are priced a little higher, but if you want a good quality tire go with the Bridgestone. I think I payed $110.00 each.

------------------