• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Otter setup/takedown

emover

Question

I recently got an Otter den, and being new to flipover shelters, I was wondering if there are some right and wrong ways to setup/takedown, or any helpful hints anyone has?

------------------
mama said there'd be days like this

6 answers to this question

The most important thing is to make sure the tubing is well lubricated. When folding down I like to leave all the tubing extended but take out the support bars that hold your house open. By doing this you can put stuff in your sled so you dont have to put heavy things on the canvas like an auger. Then when you get off the ice you have better access to you supplys. When taking down try to pull the canvas in each time you push back the bars to fold down so it looks nice. Then the canvas will not be cramed between each poll.

Like Adam said, make sure you lubricate the poles (I'd use a slicon lubricant). Just one pole at a time up and down (both sides must come up and down at the same time to avoid binding).

I personally don't use the support bars. They do make the unit a little more stable, but it seems plenty stable without them and I can move around much easier.

Have fun with the Otter!

Thanks for the info. Was also wondering what is best way to keep in half-up position as a wind break? Do you need support bars or does it just stay that way?

------------------

sometimes I think I should know theese things, but when you shell out good cash for something, you really want to make sure you treat it well so it lasts. I appreciate the helpful info.

------------------