• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

LX3 Help

AK1990

Question

I purchased a LX3 last month from Cabelas. I used it for the first time this past weekend. After 45 minutes the flasher went blank except for the water surface red bar. That put a real damper on my fishing. I could hear the transducer working. Cabelas will return it. Question is should I try another LX3 or go with the FL18. I love the features of the LX3. I just don't know if this was a fluke or a sign of things to come. Any one else have this problem? I am new to this forum and appreciate all the good information!

I'm sure it was a fluke, I would highly recommend the Marcum over the fl-18, I've seen both in action, and prefer the Marcum. I'm on my second ice season with mine and have zero problems. It's amazing how crisp and accurate the display is. It's also nice to be able to zoom into a school of crappies that are suspended from 22-26 feet in 45 feet of water when the situation comes up.

CSP88,
I had a unit prior to joining MarCum's ProStaff this season. No reason other than that, both units worked great. I absolutely love my LX-3. I use the zoom all of the time (even in 10-12' FOW I'll zoom into the 5' window). None of the other units offer the adjustable zoom window.

AK1990 -
You could also contact MarCum directly if that works out better for you.

[email protected]

I contacted Marcum customer service and all they could suggest was to send it in for service. I asked to speak with a Tech and they said that it was not possible. I think Marcums customer service needs some improving. A product is only as good as its customer service in my opinion.

I had the same thing happen to me on New Year's day, luckily it was at the end of the day. Yours is the third one I have heard of doing this, must be a small gliche in the units or random lemons. I emailed Marcum about it and still have not heard back from them. I have since then returned it to Cabela's for a new one as I like the features of the LX3. As for the customer service, I am not to impressed as of yet. Its nice to have a store like Cabelas that will just give you a new one.

Fisherdog

[This message has been edited by fisherdog19 (edited 01-13-2004).]

Are you guys sure Marcum did not respond to your email within 24 hours? I know for sure that every effort is made to return all email the same day they are recieved. These units take a pounding and they are reliable. Problems are resolved quickly. Repairs are made within 48 hours of reciept. Send an email to [email protected] for prompt service.

Keep in mind that some of the people posting here are on Marcum's payroll. Of course they are going to tell you that this problem is a fluke and then go on to mention it's unique features. Nevertheless, the other posts speak for themselves. I am getting ready to buy a new unit myself and although Marcum appears quite attractive with regards to it's features, it does not appear to have all of the "bugs" worked out yet. If I drove all of the way up to Lake of the Woods for a 5 day trip and my Marcum quit working on day 1, -I'm not going to care how good their customer service is; because where I'm at, I'm screwed 'till I get home. I'm just gonna want a unit that works. Period. And for me, that makes the FL-18 a much better value. I know how awful this feeling is since this has happened to me once with my brand new Strickmaster and again with my Eagle summer sonar unit. For others, maybe it's worth trading off reliability for a couple of extra features. For me, no way. My mind is made up. I'm sorry Marcum guys, but I looked all over this forum and have seen post after post about people having problems with thei Marcum's LX3's and very few about Vexilar FL18's. And just so everyone knows I am not on anyone's pay roll.

Not to tick anyone off but when I buy anything new I use it locally a few times before I take it out on a big trip. That includes my cameras, snowmobile, boat or whatever it is. Most items have what is called "infant mortality" meaning if it is going to fail it is when the unit is first being used. I know sometimes it is hard to get out and use the "new stuff" before the big trip but make effort and it does give you some time to get to know how to use the product as well. Most of the stores shop at have a 30 day exchange just for that reason. I have had my LX-3 since early December and love it.

I know last year there were a few instances of the Marcum burning up because they were drawing too much power.....I guess more isn't always better. But I had heard they cleared that up this year.( I don't mean POOF!I mean they just quit working because something didn't like all that power.)

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

[This message has been edited by jpz (edited 01-14-2004).]

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

LaqueDuBios,
I know of only one person using this forum on MarCum's payroll. I know of several on Vexilar's payroll who post in these forums. They have been posting here for years. How do you have more information on that then I would? I believe you are mistaken and making assumptions rather than stating facts.

You know what they say about assumptions...

That being said, we see posts about MarCum and Vexilar problems. Neither unit has a monopoly on that. Your logic really doesn't hold much water.

Rick,
I definitely did not intend to lead people to believe that I was an expert on this subject. Unlike you, I have no idea how many people who post here are on Marcum’s or anyone else’s payroll. I just know there are “some” –like I stated in the post. Also, I understand you believe I’m making assumptions. I don't deny this at all. Many of us do that here. We read other people’s posts, draw conclusions, form opinions and make assumptions. I encourage people to remember this is just my 2 cents, nothing more, nothing less. The only thing I know for sure is that I really appreciate this opportunity to voice my thoughts and read other people’s responses –like yours! grin.gif

Rick, I am curious, could you pull up some old threads with people having Vexilar problems. I am fairly new to the site and do not recall seeing any for Vexilar but I have noticed the Marcum issue that is current. I would just like to see the issues people are having with the Vexilar.

Thanks, CSP

Hmmm
I had to take my Vex back becuase it didn't work when I bought it.
If I remember correctly,thousands had to be returned to be updated with new software.
Vex did a good job fixing the problem for all those people.Kudos to them.
I am sure that if there are problems with a Marcum your going to get top notch service from them too.

I am not on Marcums payroll but I am on their prostaff.I paid for my Marcum just like I would have paid for any other sonar.Matter of fact,I CHOSE to be on their staff after seeing a Marcum in action.

I'm not bashing Vex. Both Vex. and MarCum are top notch companies that stand behind their products 100%. But you asked.. Here are a couple that I pulled up quick of many on Vex. issues in the past...

http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000363.html

http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/001021.html

http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/001133.html

http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/001625.html

http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/002903.html

wgmsa, I am sure that I have not recieved an email from Marcum yet, I emailed them the night of 1/1/04 and still no reply. Is this problem being seen alot or just on a few units? I would hate for it to happen to another unit because I would then probably switch to another manufacturer. Otherwise I love the unit, and when working, it performs flawlessly.

Fisherdog

I have MarCum under my name and I can assure that doesn't mean that I'm on their payroll. If the MarCum name under a Pro Staff's name leads you on to believe that we are on a payroll, then I would like to clarify that is not the case. I don't know if that is what was assumed, but I'm just stating my assumption. We Pro Staff the product, we are not paid to do so in any way. We Pro Staff such products because we like the way a product performs and we feel that the product is of excellent quality and something that will help people catch fish and become better fishermen. I don't know many, if any, people here that Pro Staff a product because they are trying to make money, we do so because we feel that product is the best for us, and with that product comes all the things we look for in our fishing equipment. I post about MarCum because I've spent a considerable amount of time on the ice with the LX-3 and I wish to share my findings. I won't Pro Staff or post about something that I wouldn't fish with or something that I don't believe is at the top of the game. I've spent countless hours this winter on the ice with my LX-3 and I know several others who are in the same category, and I have yet to experience or hear about anything but positive comments about the LX-3 from my companions. I have also used Vexilar for several years prior to using my LX-3, so I have experience with both and I choose the one I feel will benefit me the most and help me become a better fisherman.

With any piece of fishing equipment you have the possiblity of having problems. I have never heard of a company that is flawless and without any problems what so ever, problems just happens sometimes. I have personally experienced problems with some of my old Vexilars, but do I think that Vexilar is "bad" because of it, of course not, Vexilar is a great company with a lot of success, and I've shared in some of that success in the past. The LX-3 has what I want in a flasher, and thats why I chose it, period.

As far as customer service is concerned, if you were to go to different websites and asked a question about their product, you will quickly realize that sometimes it takes time before you get a response, and then there are times where you can get more then one response in a day. I don't believe that means that the customer service there is poor. Fishing involves patience, and I believe we are all fishermen here wink.gif

I hope that I didn't offend anyone. I enjoy reading all of your posts and I just wanted to clarify things before there becomes a misunderstanding about how things work around here. Everyone has a lot of great things to say and I value every single opinion in the same light. smile.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy

I think you can almost compare the new flashers with a new line of pickup that comes out... if you can, wait until they are well in to thier second year of production.
All the R&D and testing doesnt mean much until you get a few thousand people testing it out.
I remember when Ford totally changed the F150 in about 96 or 97... the first year, some of the trucks were awesome, but many had some bugs, and there were a few recalls, by 98, they were once again one of the top vehicals on the market with very few problems. I think thats the same with the Fl-18s. The had a recall on thier early FL-18s. It was not a problem that made them unusable, so I sent mine in after the season and it was back in my hands 2 days later.
Marcum is going through the same thing I would guess. The first production run is just getting off the shelves and some of the problems are cropping up.
If I had to have a new unit this year, I would get and FL-18 again, if I could wait it out and let them solve some problems, I might lean towards the Marcum.

Not to tick anyone off, but it seems like every time a flasher subject comes up, it does get derailed by the Vex vs. Marcum argument or it turns in to a Marcum commercial and we see the same features posted again, and again and it kind of ruins it for the user that started the post as they are not able to get the info that they originally asked for.

I guess for the record, I do own an FL-18. If I knew there would be no troubles using an 18 and an LX3 in the house together, my second flasher would be and LX3. So I see myself as pretty open minded, or maybe just could not care less on the whole flasher subject. As I said before, both flashers are incredible products and will make your next fishing experience undescribable compaired to not having one.

Have fun and lets fish.

Fisherdog I have no record of your email to me on the 4th. I assure you I answer email. Are you taken care of? Do you have a problem with a unit? I am a Marcum employee. I am the customer service guy along with the Munchman. We are the only Marcum employees who contribute to this site and if you notice we never get on and pitch our stuff. Marcum products are Cadillacs and we don't need to pitch the product it sells itself! We service every call to the best of our ability. Emails are answered the day they are recieved. The only execption has been when we all went fishing on New Years weekend just like most ice fishing rubes. To my knowledge not one customer is unsatisfied with the LX3. Have there been a couple of problems with individual units, yes. Guys these units are electrical devices that are put to work in incredible conditions. From 35 below to indoors at 80 degrees in the same day. We stand behind our products and our service. We've pulled near miracles for people because they had the misfortune to have a problem with a unit. There are guys who sent me a unit on Tuesday that we repaired and got back to them by Friday for the next weekends fishing. If anybody out there has a problem with one of our units I will do everything I possibly can to get you back on the water fast!! We are [email protected] and I'm proud of it! I fish too as you know, I am the ultimate ice fishing geek. I bought my Marcum LX3 before I started working here! The FM pro staffers are not our employees! They do not get free units! They believe the Marcum LX3 is the best unit for fishing period! Would you recommend a poor product to people? To me this HSOforum is not about a free for all bashing of any product it is a fair evaluation of all that is fishing. A $%&ilar is a good product... have they had a problem or two? Should we unwrap the past problems with $%^ilar units? Does the LX3 ID targets better the a $%^ilar? You bet it does!

I did'nt mean to stir up a hornets nest with my post. Anyways...I am going to give Marcum another shot...Cabelas is sending me a brand new unit. Should have it Friday..I will post if I have any problems with the unit. Thanks for the replys!!

Not trying to stir the pot, but wondering what Marcum prostaff members get for stating this awesome product? I have a very old FL-8 that I want to replace this year, but need to trust the experts w/o biased opinions. I am very open to ideas since this unit was purchased the 1st year Vex's were out. Much has changed since then. Thanks!