• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

175 MAG + F75

32 degrees

Question

Ok, I hope you guys can help me out here. I am looking at purchasing an Alumacraft 175 Magnum CS and putting a 75 horse Yamaha 4-stroke on it. My question is this, how slow in terms of MPH will I be able to back-troll with this rig? Will the boat be underpowered? Can I go to an F60? I am looking for that majical horsepower that will allow me to troll down and still get me around the lake. Please Help!

9 answers to this question

I'm not sure I'm going to be any help but I have one rule of thumb when purchasing a boat. Put the max. hp motor that the boat is rated for, or at least very near max. The boat will not perform properly when you are way under powered. A friend of mine decided to buy one of the "packages" at the boat show a few years ago, he bought a boat that was rated for a 90 hp motor, but the package had a 50 hp on it. That summer after 2 trips on Leech, he went back and put the 90 hp on it. With the 50, he couldn't even get up to a full plane, it pushed the boat through the water like a barge. The other thing that made him mad was he and I left the resort on Leech at the same time, we had about a 7 mile ride to where we were going to fish, I was already fishing when he was only half way there and I have a 16' boat with the max. motor on it, a 60 hp.

My 2 cents.

Ole

I used to have a similar boat as that with a 90 horse, it was fine with two guys, three guys and it wasn't good, One guy had to go up front to get the boat to plane out, unless we wanted to wait and wait. I got a new boat last year and maxed it out. I'm obviously happier with the bigger motor, planing, etc. I do understand price is really a big issue. I bet not many people would agree with my next statement, but I'd get a bigger, non-4 stroke motor that's less expensive. If you don't like the 75's trolling, you'll end up with a kicker motor (another 125 pounds)and then you'll be in worse shape.

I have to agree with ole put on the motor the boat is rated for there is always ways to slow it down if you have to like using a drift sock or trim up the motor.I have never heard anyone say they wished they would have put on a smaller motor.

If you are getting a console boat, do not underpower it. For one you will have a very hard time with re-sale and the overall sale. That boat is rated for a large motor, maybe 150? Get a kicker for trolling/backtrolling.

I've got an Alumacraft Tournament Pro 170CS w/ 115 Johnson and Honda 15 kicker. You cannot troll with the main motor, it goes 3.5 mph+, but the kicker trolls real nice.
It will be going in the classifieds here in the next week or two.

Nice rig, you'll like it.

I have a TP 175 tiller with a 75 Honda. Top end your looking at 32-34 mph.

Anything under a foot and a half chop, I use my electric moter for trolling. I use a Minn kota Vantage to back troll, but any transom electric with 50 lbs or more would work.

Any waves over a foot and a half, I go with the big motor. I can usually get down below a mile an hour backtrolling. Get a good pair of splash guards.

You could also get down to slower trolling speeds by using a drift bag.

32 degrees. Here's my two cents. I have a 1800 Lund ProV, 175 Yam, 9.9 kicker, Minnkota copilot. I never use the kicker. I troll with plugs with the minnkota, unless it's really really rough. I have the kicker as a safety measure. I just don't use it, some do. I'd get the following. A bigger main motor and a plenty big co pilot or autopilot for pulling plugs, trolling, boat control, scrap the kicker if it's a price issue. I'm jealous, I love boat shopping. It's a blast. Keep the questions coming.

I don't think you'll like backtrolling with a console controlled outboard. I'd strongly suggest getting a powerful bowmount electric motor (at least 65 lbs thrust and 24 volts) and/or a separate kicker motor for slow presentations in that boat. Your console controlled outboard would get you by for forward-trolling crankbaits, but even then it's a lot of steering and pretty slow response time.

I also agree with the thoughts that you should be getting a bigger main motor, especially if there's any chance you're going to want to sell or trade the boat anytime in the next several years. You're looking at only getting low 30 mphs out of that set-up, and a lot slower and a lot wetter ride in any kind of waves.

I have a Tournament Pro 175 CS with a 175 Merc EFI, a 10 hp Merc 4-stroke kicker, and a 65 lb Minnkota bowmount. My kicker is not connected to my big engine, and the speed and shifting is all controlled with the twist grip. Between the kicker and the bowmount I can control the boat in any type of wind/wave/fishing situation. When going with the wind and slow (live bait fishing) the bowmount gives me better control than the kicker.

Good luck with your new boat.