• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

league regulations or laws

walleyeking#8

Question

Was wondering if anyone knew what the regs or laws were pertaining to starting a fishing league? I would like to start a walleye only league with only a limited amount of teams and the league fee would be minimal. Would appreciate any info. Thanks

2 answers to this question

I would highly suggest calling your local Fisheries office.

Here is a link to the DNR fisheries on the web with some info in regards to your question:
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/tournaments/regulations.html

I can tell you that a friend of mine in the MN DNR Fisheries is getting increased numbers of complaints coming across his desk in the last few years, because the numbers of leagues/clubs is increasing dramatically.
Lakeshore owners are complaining and other fisherman are complaining.
There are several complaints, but a couple big ones are the "shotgun" starts and boat launches being monopolized by a league.
There are some west metro lakes that have leagues showing up at least a few nights every week, and on some nights there are multiple leagues showing up at certain launches.

If you don't want to deal with permits, you need to stay under 30 people and the entry fee must be no greater than $25 per person. If your under those limits, you don't need a permit. Otherwise, you'll need to contact the DNR for a permit.