• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnkota Maxxum vs Motorguide

Mark Christianson

Question

Time for a new trolling motor.
I have a Power Drive Minnkota that just has to go.
I want a 24V motor, in the 50 inch shaft range and around 65 pound thrust.
I have always had Minnkota, but I am wondering if Motorguide should be on my hit list.

I was going to settle for the Maxxum, but I was looking through that beast catalog from Bass Pro Shops, and Motorguide caught my eye and made me start thinking.

11 answers to this question

In my humble opinion to compare a Motorguide to a Minnkota is to compare a old VW beetle to a new BMW.
I've had both and the Minnkota will out perform any motorguide ever made.
This is just my opinion and I'm sure you will find someone to argue the point with me.

I hated my MotorGuide. It was a RF model and had to go back to MotorGuide 3 times to be rebuilt, and it wasn't only the RF that didn't work right on it. I ended up throwing it away -- didn't even want to sell that piece of junk to anybody. I've had 3 Minnkota bowmounts and have no complaints about any of them. Good luck.

Big--Forget the Maxxum and get the Riptide (saltwater)motor from MinnKota. Better components, better housings...

For a few extra bucks you get twice the motor versus the Maxxum.

Check them out before you buy...

------------------
Chells

I have had my 64lb thrust Motorguide now for five years. It is the RF model with auto guide. I love it and have not had one problem with it. It was the best value at the time. I think both Minkota and Motorguide have great products. In my opinion you can't go wrong with either.