• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Honest opinions on new Otter's square tubing.

WI Angler

Question

I saw on another post back in Dec, that some were having problems with the new square tubing on the Otters. Now that were in the full swing of ice fishing, what are your thoughts on the new change now that many have had a chance to use theirs. My plan is to buy the new Lodge, probably today. Thanks for the feedback.

7 answers to this question

My absolute honest opinion: I love the square tubing over the round style. I have not one complaint, only praise. It has been flawless so far and I've used it a lot in the 45+ days I've owned it. I sneak on the lakes at least 3-4 times a week.

I've fished in last year's model (my cousin's) and he fished in my Otter Lodge all last weekend, and he is really bummed he got the short end of the stick when they changed this year's design. He also doesn't have the pocket on the back wall in the Lodge, which is great for cell phones and small radios!! (New for this year too.)

We fished in last weekend's cold front and 35+mph winds and he was impressed with the strength of the square frame over his last year's model house.

I just got the Otter Cabin with the square tubing. I have read post complaining about burrs on the ends but on mine it looked like someone had filed them off at the factory.(even Otter reads posts on this forum) I have also read about the poles binding. In the instructions it says to spray WD 40 on the inside of the bottom pole that attaches to sled. I did this and they slide like a dream. I really like the way the shelter attaches to the sled with the trim lock system. My friend has an otter with round poles and they slide no better then mine. The improvements to the Otters is for the good, can't go wrong getting one.

------------------
Not that there's anything wrong with that!?!

I fished in 40 mph wind gusts in 0 degree cold. The poles held up great and still slide perfect. I've lubed them twice this year with silicone spray. My friend got last years model at a discount this year. The poles bent on the first day because they froze up and he tried to force them down. Go with the square tubing!!

The otterskins that they sell over at Canvas Craft in Anoka are something else to consider.

I think they may have come up with the original design and sold it to Otter outdoors.

They have a steel frame unlike the aluminum framed (round or square) green and purple houses.

I have an old black version from otterskin and have been happy with it despite the small comparative size vs. the newer models. Very durable and easy to repair.

They have all of the same sizes plus a version with insulated canvas that looks like it would cut the wind.

I haven't owned an Otter with round poles but I am completely happy with mine.I lubed them when I put it together like the instructions said to and have not had any problems.They slide very nice.
I did bend one though.I couldn't get both the sled and the Otter on the trailer so I slid the Otter under the back of the sno machines hitch and drove 120 miles.The top pole bent slightly.I used it like it was that day and it was gusting to 30mph,and it held up with no problem.
I called Otter customer service and had a new one in 2 days.

------------------
Minnesota River Guided Fishing
www.mnriverguidedfishing.com
[email protected]
NPAA #863

I have been very happy with my new Otter. The square tubing does make the unit stronger and more stable. I lubed it as recommended in the manual and haven't had any issues. It slides better than my round style poles in my old FishTrap and is a snap to set-up.

I recently purchased an Otter den and had one pole with a burr problem. I removed it with an emery board, cleaned and relubricated with wd-40 and all is well. I agree that this is sub par for Otter quality, but as has been sated before their customer service is good and will replace poles if necessary.

------------------
mama said there'd be days like this