• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

little buddy heater

wmn luv me walleye fearme

Question

When I remove a propane tank from it after it has died down (run out of propane) If it is cold out when i take the propane off usually propane starts pouring out of it. Makes me a little nervous especially when i am in my fishtrap with a lantern going. It come out so fast i have to toss it outside my shack and then just pick it up when i am ready to go home. Any way I can stop this?

------------------
To be the man you have to beat the man....Wooooooooo

4 answers to this question

Same thing happened to me this past weekend. I think it has to do with the 1 lb. cylinder being too cold and the propane "gelling up". Not sure though- anybody else?
It seems like if I keep the cylinders inside I don't have any problems. That'd be what I suggest.
Scoot

In very cold its hard to run 1 lb bottles dry because the pressure in the tank isn't enough to push through the orifice. Not only will the heater not burn hot toward the end of the tank its also burns dirty. Theses IR heaters are designed to burn efficiently above a certain temp.
How do you minimize any risks of propane blowing out when changing tanks? Never change any propane bottles inside an enclosure.

Get yourself a 5 lb. tank and the adapter hose. Better fittings, better valves and less chance of blowing the lid off your house (and the skin off your face). I've personally had too many instances of those 1 lb. cylinders leaking to be comfortable using them.

Another benefit is that the heater seems to burn hotter, longer. Others have explained this as a result of greater pressure in the 5lbers. All I know is that it's a huge deal when it's super cold.

Just my $.02.

Match