• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Replacing Cork Handle

Seabass77

Question

I have an old St. Croix Premier that has an old beat up cork handle. I would like to replace it with a new Tennessee handle. Thorne bros in Fridley says this would be $40 to $50 bucks, which seams really expensive to me. I think I can get the right part from St. Croix for about $13 bucks plus shipping. Is this something I can do easily myself? Any idea how I would do this?

Thanks for your help.

Joe

2 answers to this question

Hi Joe,
It is a pain if you want to do it right. It would require you to remove the hookkeep/guides, and put the handle on and rewrap/finish the rod. You can do it from the butt end, but will end up with a sloppy fit on the front end (tip end) of the cork (you can shim, and hope that a winding check would hide it). I like to have the cork in direct contact with the blank, so removing the guides would be my option on a personal rod. You may be better off buying a new custom rod. Just my .02!