• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

mora(?) blade guard problem

Roop-Dogg

Question

i have a blue hand auger(i think its a mora) that i use before its power auger time. they come with a red plastic blade guard that attaches with a black nobby rubber strap. the blade guard will crack(split) where the black strap attaches and the blade guard will be loose and/or fall off. i have tried to glue, melt, epoxy, jb weld, the doggone thing but it cracks again right away. i have purchased replacement blade guards and they crack also.

i can't be the only one that has had this problem. has anyone got any suggestions or solution? thanks

------------------
Roopy

7 answers to this question

Roop-Dogg,
I have had the same problem, It seems the plastic material is just not that durable, After my original cracked, I bought a new one and I just have to baby it, or I am sure it will crack again, I try to be carefull setting it down, and just pull the bungee just tight enough to hold the guard on.

They are JUNK! If you loose that MORA guard some place it will be a good thing.

They crack at the notch and "Bingo" useless junk, only good for aggravating the heck out of you from there on in. A ice cream pail is as usefull as they are and last about as long. Every one I have had crack and soon get the boot into the trash.

A good power point guard would be a great deal for some inspiring genius to think on over the winter. Man it would sell if it would adjust to the auger size and lock solidly in place.

I would line up for one!

I too had a mora and the guard broke in the same manner as all of yours. I tried several homemade remedies to embarrasing to mention. My wife took pity on me and bought me a lazer. It's blade guard functions perfectly.

Had the same problem. What I did was attach 2 pieces of plywood to the bottom of the junk plastic guard. I permanently attached the rubber strap one one piece of ply, and cut a notch in the other ply to receive the other end of the rubber strap. I attached the ply by screwing through the bottom of the plastic, being careful so the blades do not touch the screws. Has worked well for me for years.

I'm still using an old Mora with the original blade guard -- made before they went to "rubber straps." Mine has a plastic strap that goes across and slips into a notch on the opposite side. No complaints here. Maybe they tried to fix something that wasn't broke.

I've had them crack too. Even the one I'm currently using, which has big rubber knobs and fits pretty well, comes off all too easily. I'm pretty much the lazy type (or well-prepared as I like to think) that leaves my non-electronic ice fishing gear in the back of my truck, which has a cap, all season long. Last winter I let our weimaraner in back and left him unattended for approximately 2 minutes while I went back into the house to get my shotgun. I thought I was doing him a big favor by taking him rabbit hunting, but when came back I found him licking his leg. Then I noticed a huge amount of blood all over my Shappell and bedliner, as he had laid a slice close to an inch deep on one of his rear achilles. I felt horrible and had to do a quick bandage job to stop the bleeding. An emergency weekend vet visit and $200 later, he was all stitched up and had to have his bandages changed every few days for about a month! He also didn't much appreciate the "lamp shade" he had to wear for the first few weeks so he would leave the bandages alone. Never underestimate the mischief pets OR kids can get into!