• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where to place Underwater Camera?

Norco

Question

Hey Guys,
I just bought myself an Aqua-vu and was wondering how far you put the camera from the hook (the water is clear)? Has anybody had problems with fish wrapping themselves around the cable i.e big Jack or walleye??
I also ordered a ice pod and was wondering if they work well.
Cheers!!

6 answers to this question

I usually set up with my 2 holes for jigging and pop a 3rd hole about 2 -3 ft. behind and in between, so you have a triangle of holes. That way I can swivel to look at either bait. You want it close enough that you can move it around while jigging, incase you want to look at your other bait or scan around. If water is really murky, like Red lake water, I put it closer (less than 2' away from the hole). Good luck!

I usually will use mine in down view mode. That way I use the same hole I am fishing out of. People are often worried about the fish getting wrapped up in the cord. I have had this happen on pike.. but if you take your time it often works just fine!

Do you guys use the fin to get the camera to point down or do you use other means? One guy told me the its hard to tell the fish species apart when viewing from above, do you find this is true???

Yes I use the fin to use the down view mode. The fin has a little J hook cut into the end of it. You just run the cable threw it. Woks great. I would suppose if you were not as familiar with fish seeing them from the side may be slightly easier to identify fish. However, if you know fish its really not all that hard. I like down viewing because you can see such a larger area. In clear water you can suspend your camera 12 feet or so up off the bottom and see numberous holes in your fish house. Just my opinions!!!

On a clear lake like Mille Lacs, I drill an extra hole about 3 feet off the corner of my portable for the camera. i have my cord wrapped on an old bulk line spool so I can let it down however far I want and the give it one wrap over the spool stand to hold it about 6 - 8 ft off the bottom. (spool stakc is a small piece of treated Plywood with an "L" bracket and long 1/4" bolt through spool and a second bolt through the top of the bracket for a handle)

I use a small piece of wire to angle the camera down. (from fin to wire 5"above camera) This set up allows me to get all four bait in the house on screen at the same time and I believe the eye's in particular don't get spooked byt the camera as much this way.

Gadget

I'll have to try that for sure, I saw that aqua-vu sells a cam that is fixed on a down position but thought I'd like the one with the fin better. Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a whirl on my next outing!
Cheers!!