Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sorenson

Clam 5600 Not Portable Enough

8 posts in this topic

Does anyone have a cheap, easy, dependable means to make a Clam 5600 a bit more portable? Cheap because I work for the state, easy because I usually bend 4 nails over before one goes in, and dependable because, well, I don't want to have to start over again...
I really like the shack, but when it comes to hauling it out of the truck and down to the ice, all I can think about is what a huge chore it is going to be to haul it back up. I almost exclusively fish western reservoirs and by ice-up, they are drawn down from summer irrigation use and it is often a 1/4 mile or more down to the shoreline. It really isn't that friendly to slide with the little plywood hole covers, especially if there's 4 or more inches of snow. On glare ice it pulls like a dream (of course, then it sails like a dream too)! I want to be able to take it more often because then my wife will be more inclined to accompany me.
I was thinking about building a 'cradle' of PVC or light wood supported by old snow skis. If there's a better way I'd love to hear about it. I hate re-inventing wheels, besides mine are usually inferior to the original wheel!
Thanks in advance.
K.

my buddy has a 5600 and I agree it is a pain but this is what we did to make the chore easier.....

we got one of those "Mule Carts" kinda like a wheelbarrow looking thing with the wheels below the top ledge. We put the auger in the basket, along with rods tip-ups etc. and once the basket is filled up we place the shelter on top.. a few modifications to keep it from sliding and there you go...2 wheels easy to push or pull, great for snow travel, as long as it's less than a foot. The hardest part is lifting the shelter and placing it on top while holding the cart level, you can see these carts in numerous magazines, I got mine from sportsman guide, and it has helped me alot.

good luck

------------------
FISH OR GO HOME

I built a sled using 1 1/2" conduit almost 20 years ago, Still using it, I thought it would rust away in short order,it just got shiny! The sled holds the house about 8" off the ice and ANY crust on the snow it just floats over. A bonus is, if the wind's blowing in the right direction when it's time to leave, don't collapse the house, just load equipment into it and hang-on! Only drawback I've found; it's a pain to store offseason.

------------------
NOBODY ever died, wishing they had fished....LESS!!

I saw a guy the other day with a pvc sled. He had a 5600 on top of 2 sch 40 1 1/2" pipes as runners. I didn't see the bottom of it, but; he probably put some T's between them to hold the two runners together. It worked slick: off the ice, up the boat landing, across the parking lot to his truck. He had the house bungee'd across the top and hooked into some holes he drilled in the side of the runners. If you used some 90's for the front of the runners and went to 2-3 inch pvc I bet it'd run better through some snow. Just my 3 cents.

Thanks for the replies guys, looks like I'll have to start collecting some materials...

I just use a couple of X-country skiis strapped to the bottom of mine. It sometimes is a pain to stap it down and un strap it but, it pulls so good that it is worth it. I am working on plans to make a lightweight sled with the skiis that you could just slide the house on and off of.
><>deadeye

I took 2 snow skis about 4 feet long and screwed 2 2x4 blocks on each ski then took a 1x4 and screwed it across from block to block. It glides across the ice and will almost run you down!

Thanks for all of the replies.
I ended up making a sled out of a pair of old skis and 8 broken hockey sticks. Works great and kinda stylish too...total cost $15.00
K.