• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Restoring Cedar/Canvas Canoe

Canuck

Question

We presently own a 20' Cedar/Canvas canoe which we use for moose hunting. We have had access to a similar 18' and found it to be perfect for our type of hunting. There are 4 of us in our huntin party and we therefore need two units, we do not know how long we will have access to the 18. We located a shell of another 18' that was dumped but it has 13 cracked ribs and some of the planking is broken and the canvas is gone.

Has anybody ever restored a Cedar/Canvas canoe. Ideas, problems etc would be appreciated.

7 answers to this question

You could also talk to the guys at Northwest Canoe in St. Paul. These guys specialize in repairing canoes. I have also been to one of their canoe building classes (a lot of fun). The class was invaluable when I built my cedarstrip canoe. They have a HSOforum too.

Good luck.

Walkabout

Canuck

You might want to check out this site:

http://forums.wcha.org/

The site mentioned above deal with wood strip and fiberglass boats. Wood canvas canoes are a whole different subject. Alex Coomb of Stewart River Boatworks at Knife River or Jeanne Bourquin from Ely could be helpful. This is a brief view of cost estimates for w/c work from Ms Bourquin: .

http://bourquin.wcha.org/restore.html

This is Mr Coomb's site

http://stewartriver.wcha.org/

Most people don't have a clue about the these boats, good luck with your project.

Roger

Canuck:

"My bad"

Duh! Maybe I could have read your name and thought for a minute before refering you to people in my area rather than your area. I will try to answer your questions. I have NO idea whether there is anyone with experience in your area to help you with this.

Many of us with just basic wood skills have restored canoes. The WCHA (Wood Canvas Canoe Asso) site is an excellent source. The "bible" for restoration is The Wood and Canvas Canoe", by Rollin Thurlow. Rollin posts on that site and he and many others are a great help.

The material should be available locally (white cedar, white spruce, and green Ash), and milling the pieces is straight forward. Supplies are available from a number of sources, including the WCHA. The tips and tricks for assembling are in the book or a number of very good videos. Questions will be answered with enthusiasm by those on that forum.

Again, sorry for not realizing your location first. (I have fished brookies on the Gods, but have never gotten up as far as Lockport, maybe someday)

Roger