• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance Depthfinders (sharing transducer-splitter?)

Dr. Juice

Question

I currently have the LMS-320 and X-91 depthfinders and I am looking to purchase the Navionics chip for the 320. What I am considering to do is use the LMS-320 with the chip full screen and use the X-91 as my depthfinder. My question is can a person modify the existing cable with a splitter of some type? My goal is to run both at the same time off the same transducer and power.

7 answers to this question

The actual unit sends out the power pulse for the ping. Unlike GPS which only receives signals generated by an external source (satellite).. the finder needs to power the transducer to produce and shoot out the signal.

I know is it possible to use a switch to choose the finder you want to use though... like an A/B switch for audio or video.. so either the front or rear finder is actively using the single transducer. But I have no idea if someone makes such a switch box for depth finders (I would bet someone does).. but I know it could be done if you have the expertise in wiring and electronics! (It would be only one or the other finder at a time.. but never both)

Quote:

I currently have the LMS-320 and X-91 depthfinders and I am looking to purchase the Navionics chip for the 320. What I am considering to do is use the LMS-320 with the chip full screen and use the X-91 as my depthfinder. My question is can a person modify the existing cable with a splitter of some type? My goal is to run both at the same time off the same transducer and power.

As mentioned above, you can't run both depthfinders at the same time off the same x-ducer. However they can share the same x-ducer when used separately with the A/B switch available from the Lowrance HSOforum. I have one in my boat and it works very well. I can switch from my bow mount X-85 to my stern mount with a quick turn of a knob.