• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Putting flat bottom in my 14' fishing boat?

Sergeant Slabber

Question

Has anyone out there ever put a flat bottom into your fishing boat? If so, could you give me some advice before I set out on this adventure. I also want to put a flat spot right up front(over the front seat) where you can kneel on when pushing the boat out. Thanks for your help!

10 answers to this question

A couple of tips; as for plywood, go with the BC grade. Marine grade is EXTREMELY expensive. We had experimented with green treated here at the shop, and found that it has a tentency to crack around the screws, is prone to warpage, and will also add significant weight as opposed to BC grade. Also, I'm assuming that you're going to carpet over the top. Don't skimp on the carpet glue. Go with a good quality glue and make sure that the entire top surface of the wood it covered. This will prevent water from penetrating into the wood and will prolong it's life.