• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kayak Fishing

FisherMissis

Hey Guys, Here's another addition to my never-ending series of questions... I'm thinking of buying a Hobie Mirage sport fisherman kayak. Has anyone fished from this type of kayak and if so, I'd like to know your opinion. (You guys are always SO helpful! Thanks!) Now, if only I could actually CATCH a fish! smile.gif

I can't offer any advice about fishing from a kayak but have been thinking about getting one myself lately. I'd use it to fish the rivers around the St. Cloud area mostly. I wanted to add a question to this post. How much can you get a one man kayak for (new or used)? Any recomendation on where to look for one? Thanks.

Ben

FisherMissis

Oh It's a good time. I have fished out of my dagger for years. I mounted a rod holder for trolling and always carried a 10 pound anchor with 30 feet of rope. My best luck was casting bucktails along the weed edges. The drag of the lure would pull you around slowly. I managed to catch a 38 inch tiger musky in that manor. I hope this was some encouragement. have a blast.

Hecker

I've been fishing from my Pungo 120... only panfish so far. The Hobie has a mirage drive pedaling system that keeps your hands free for fishing PLUS there's an optional sail (and all the rod holders, anchor, etc) I'm thinking this is IT for fishing. Price tag about $1500 (a regular kayak is about $500 - $600) There's a place in White Bear Lake that is the Hobie distributor. It's a sit-on rather than a sit-in. I'll keep my Pungo because it paddles nicely whereas the Hobie doesn't paddle too great... but who cares about being able to paddle if the pedal system works as well as they advertise?! It seems like a great way to sneak up on the fish, not to mention, being able to get into lakes where motor boats can't get to!

I liked the sit-in style for the fact that you can still fish in rough water without getting wet. My Dagger was $350.00 and my wife has a oldtown otter($250.00). You dont need to spend a lot of money to get out on the water.

Good point about the sit-in type and staying dry. I hadn't thought of that. I'm also looking at kayak fishing websites that provide info on how to rig your kayak for fishing. However, that seems way too complicated for me, but I'll learn if I have to! So where do you fish from your Dagger? I'm thinking that I'd have access to more secluded (and less fished) lakes if I used a kayak rather than a motor boat. But, I'm a rookie... and don't really know that much. grin.gif

Old town has a line of Kayak's called "Predator" designed specifically for hunting and fishing.

You can rig almost any kayak to fish....add a flush mount rodholder and an accessorie work deck...consider a small anchor.

I tangled with a 40" pike while fishing bass with light tackle in my OT AdventureXL139....I'd actually hooked a 12 inch largemouth, and this big pike nabbed it crosswise and wouldn't give it up....a fun 15 minute battle...towed me over deeper water....had it alongside and in view several times...even thought i could land it if i let is swallow it's prey...then considered, how would i handle a fish that size and not get dumped?! ...she eventually let go and i was left with the half bitten bass as the only evidence.

kayak fishing is catching on...a great solitary venture that opens up otherwise unfishable areas.

if you're ever in Alex...stop in and we'll talk shop...I've got some accessories in stock too...

good luck

and good fishing/paddling.

FisherMissis

I stick around SW metro like Tonka, Wiconia, Lake Ann, and other smaller lakes in the area. You can get a small rod holder and bolt it thru the deck in the center and just in front of the cockpit opening. I also bolted on two cleats one behind me and one next to the rod holder. That way if you anchor you can control witch way you face. A vexlar works good in a kayak mounted or not. As for minnows a small leach bucket works nice. The minnows dont care if you drag them behind all day long. If you just want to fish all you really need is your rod.

After spending HOURS online, researching Hobie Outbacks (and the PRICES) I'm beginning to think that I should just stick with my Pungo and make some fishing adaptations, like a depth finder, paddle clamp to hold the paddle next to the boat, and rod holders. I already have a small anchor, but no good place to attach it. Last year, I mistakenly attached the anchor rope to the strap on my pfd rather than the seat strap...real smart. smirk.gif

What do you mean about attaching cleats so you can change directions when you're anchored? I don't get it.

Oh. blush.gif

I'm planning on taking the kayak out on the backwaters of the Mississippi tomorrow for the first time this year. I'm going to take note of what I need to make this vessel more fishing friendly, and THEN decide whether or not to invest in $2000 worth of kayak just to be able to catch a crappie or bluegill. Speaking of... will I be able to find crappies or bluegills in the backwaters... without electronics?

Have fished out of my Perception Keowee 2 since 98. Works great and its nice to be able seat 2. I take my son fishing in it and we have a ball. Its 13'5" long and weighs 68lbs.

It has a 600lb. weight capacity.

100_0439A.jpg

100_0438a.jpg

100_0427a.jpg

100_0425a.jpg

I built this custom made Kayak cart to transport it easier at places where there is no launch site.

100_0132a.jpg

Don`t ya just love fishing out of a kayak, I love it when you catch a big one, and it doesn`t even have to be to big either to pull you all over the place. No need to really fight with the drag, just let the fish wear itself out towing you around. wink.gif

Nice pics, guys! What do you do with your paddle while you're fishing? Mine is 2-pc, so I can break it down and stow it in front, but I usually like to have it handy in case I need to do some quick maneuvering. And where do you keep your tackle, etc? Also, I need to figure out a way to get my kayak on top of my van by myself... so I can get out on the water without having to talk someone into going with me. I LOVE that homemade kayak cart! That would be handy. Hmm.. so much to think about.

Quote:

Nice pics, guys! What do you do with your paddle while you're fishing? Mine is 2-pc, so I can break it down and stow it in front, but I usually like to have it handy in case I need to do some quick maneuvering. And where do you keep your tackle, etc? Also, I need to figure out a way to get my kayak on top of my van by myself... so I can get out on the water without having to talk someone into going with me. I LOVE that homemade kayak cart! That would be handy. Hmm.. so much to think about.

Keeping gear stored in my kayak isn`t to tough with 2 in it I keep the gear small and keep the bait in my little cooler I keep behind my fold down seat.I need to invest in some rod holders to simplify my load and a paddle holder I`ll probably just make one. I also keep my rods shorter to, around 5 to 6 ft. My paddle is a take apart to. I have a couple T-handles that can be snapped onto them for single paddle use. Getting it on top of my van by myself isn`t that hard. Just a little. LOL. grin.gif

As for the cart, all it cost was around $30 for the wheels I bought from Northen Tool.com. The rest was a combination of old lawn chairs that were cut into proper pieces to bolt together. Axle is a 1/4" steel rod. It does not fold down, the only drawback. But then again, I don`t go anywhere I`ll need to take it with in the kayak anyway. Sure makes it nice throughing all the gear into it and wheeling it down to the water. Been across some pretty rough terrain and had no problems.

The paddle is the simplest part. They sell a tethered cord that Velcros to the paddle and clips on the Kayak. Clip it to the seat strap or your life vest. Then when fishing just let it float along side you. Or there is just letting it sit in your lap. There is a lot of room for the junk up in front.

croped5yk.jpg

I have tethers for both my paddles but when I drop my paddles in they sink and I am afraid that my line will get caught in the tether when I drop it in. Guess its time to look for some new paddles to. I also an idea to make a electric motor mount for my old Min Kota to use and getting a couple of solar cell chargers to lay out on the open deck parts and using a 12volt dry cell battery. Like the ones used for battery back-ups. There not so heavy.

wink.gif

The mount would be the quick part. Now the battery by it's self would be a heavy one. It would be nice to have a motor that you could change batteries like a 19v cordless drill. It's not like you would run it wide open all day.

Something to think about.

Nice to see I'm not the ONLY one who is online at this time of night... grin.gif

Hey, check out: kayak fishing stuff dot com for TONS of good information on rigging kayaks for fishing. Most of the people on the site are into salt water fishing, but the info is still good. Plus they have stuff you can order to outfit the yak.

Can you recommend any good kayak fishing lakes? I'm planning a camping/kayaking/fishing trip in May and it would be nice to try out a quiet lake.

Quote:

Say Jim, Are those pictures from Mound Creek Resivoir?

Have you fished there at all this year, I heard it got fished out because of to much pressure on the crappies
confused.gif

Hey Nick, that would probably explain why we didn`t catch

a thing out there last summer. Only went out there 2 times.

Haven`t had a chance to get the kayak out this year, bought a newer van and have yet to try and tie the kayak onto it. Going to be far harder then my older van I can see already. Far fewer tie down options. confused.gif

Probably going to have invest in one of those custom racks

for it. It has a factory rack but is pretty useless for my

Kayak.

I have fished from a kayak for many years and it is great to get into some of those 'lost lakes' up north here. I picked up a 2 man one 9 years ago and am happy I did. The front hole is great to put the tackle and cooler. I also use 2 small anchors for each end to stabilize in the wind. Otherwise you drift a lot.