• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trailer bearing work

rosspj59

Question

Can anyone recommend a service shop to do trailer bearing service work. I tried doing a search for previous posts and did not have success. Just need to do a maintenance update, nothing is broke. Preferably in the northeast metro. Don't really want to wait for the dealership to get me in or pay their high prices. I realize I could probaly do it myself, but I don't want to mess up. Email info to [email protected]. Thanks.

Quote:

I don't know much about this bearing stuff. My boat trailer tires have a grease zerk on them that i just attach the grease gun to to pump grease in. How is this different than what you are talking about? What are the pros and cons of that versus your way?

That's a bearing buddy or similar system no doubt. The idea of them is to keep the hub and bearings full of grease so that there isn't room for water and other contaminents to get in so you need to be redo them less frequently. They are not a "forever" type thing that totally replaces the need to get them out and repack them every once in a while. You can get by a long time with just keeping them pumped full, but sooner or later neglecting them altogether WILL bite you.

hook, its a personal preferance, some guys just wipe the bearing clean with a rag and then start packing being sure to wipe of the dirty grease as its pushed to the top. Some guys like to take them to the solvent tank and give them a good bath. Some clean them with a rag then hit them with brake parts cleaner. Would not rec. gas! Just make sure they are dry before you pack them and it shouldn't matter what you use.

Carl, Just adding grease through a zerk isn't good enough. They still need to be cleaned and inspected occasionally. Moisture will find its way into anything, especially boat trailer bearings. A couple hours and a couple bucks on a weekend sounds alot better than a canceled fish trip and a couple hundred dollars in repairs.

Quote:

would not rec. gas! Just make sure they are dry before you pack them and it shouldn't matter what you use.

I knew I'd catch it from somebody on that one... I do use it though and it works great. But I also agree its not necessarily the safest way to work...and probably not the very best cleaner out there. Brake cleaner will clean anything, that is a good option but most people have plenty of gas sitting around and that's why I use it most of the time (although I always have a can of brake cleaner around too I guess).

Thanks to all of you who have provided input on this issue in past postings. I just replaced the entire hubs on my trailer as discussed in previous posts (by SuperDuty, Surface Tension, Dave, LawDog, Airjer, and a few others). It was a piece of cake and took very little time. If a non-gearhead like myself can do it, anyone can. I'll start repacking my own bearings from here on out to save money, but at least now I know that everything is currently in good condition. (Everything was shot when I pulled apart the old hub) I now have the knowledge to handle future bearing issues. Thanks again everyone.

Haaad

Hi, can anyone tell me what size hubs goes on 2002 Karavan trailer - came with 17 foot crestliner? It's either 1-1/16" or 1-3/8"-1-1-16" or 1-3/4"-1-1/4". Since, I've never re-packed the hubs, planning on replacing them.

so haaad, glad you got r done. Now you have the piece of mind knowing your bearing are in good shape and if anything should happen out on the road you can fix them.

Thomas, I'm guessing 1 1/16th. Best thing to do is pull them off and take the hub to the store with you to get the right bearing.