• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

'88' Honda 350 Foreman ATV-No Spark

Bryon

I'm not getting any spark from the plug wire, first thought it could be plug, and when I checked plug wire for spark, nothing. Was wondering where I should look for the cause of the problem, also, what do they have for ignition, electronic?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bryon

I am not familiar with that particular machine, but I am going to guess its similar to most other hondas around the same age..

I can tell you a couple things to check.. It should have a stator coil under the flywheel, and a secondary coil that the spark plug wire comes from. Pull off the seconday coil and make sure it is grounding good to the frame.. pull the couple bolts to take it off, take a piece of sandpaper to clean the ground contacts on the coil, and on the frame.. make sure the surface is grit/dust free(wipe it off), appy some dielectric grease to the mounting surface and remount the coil. You should try to come up with some specs on the coils to check it with an OHM meter to see if they are any good... especially the stator coil, it can save some work.

The machine may start after you clean up that second coil.. its a common problem on the old honda's.. often what happens it runs fine until you hit a puddle, and it will just die.

There is a possibility that the CDI box went out if that machine is equipped with one.

If the stator coil is out, you will have to get a puller and pull the fly wheel.. you will see the stator, and lighting coil mounted on a plate under the flywheel.. It usually requires a little soldering to replace the stator, but its not that difficult if your a little mechanicly inclined... I would highly recommend finding a manual for the specs and resistences, unless you have a good friend in a shop somewhere that will dig them up for you.

Thanks for the info.

The coil that the spark plug wire comes from is mounted in a rubber grommet like thing, slides on to a clip on the frame. 2 smaller wires plug into one end, spark plug wire comes out the other. So, I'm assuming it's the stator coil, right?

Thanks, Bryon

I have a 1987 Foreman. Was starting hard,even last summer in warmer weather. Honda shop man suggested new CDI box, problem solved. Still starts hard in cold weather, last winter. Now with warmer weather, starts good. Tried new battery for cold weather starts, no help. I think the newer Hondas have a primer button. Can't find a primer button on this model I have. A new CDI box is a little spendy. If you could find someone with a good CDI, maybe try that first. I live in nw Ia. Too far away or you could try mine! Good luck! If you find a way to start in cold weather let me know, as I think that was one of the problems with these older models. jps [email protected]

Where is the CDI box and what does it look like?

I hear ya on the cold weather starting problem. I have to give mine a shot of (I use JB 80, it's like WD40} to get mine going.

Thanks, Bryon

The CDI on the 1987 Foreman is under the right hand front fender. Measures about 4" x 2 1/2", one inch thick.Wires are on the top.Kinda a black rubber shield around it. Not sure where the CdI would be on a 1988. I would think about the same! The shop foreman at local dealer was actually pretty good about helping.I think it cost around $130. jps