• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Frustrated!?

jigjigsk

Am I the only that has line problems? I've put new line on twice already this spring while fishing for springtime crappies. 2lb and 4lb on light rods and seem to keep having problems with snarls and bunching at the reel. Maybe it's the name brand line I am buying. I know sometimes you can put to much on and have problems, and I have done that. Just curious what everyone thinks is the best line for light gear?

It might be the way you spool it. To spool a spinning rod lay the spool down flat and reel the line on. One thing you can try is to let out all the line behind the boat and troll along a bit and reel it back on. This might take out the line twist. What kind of reel are you using?

Corey Bechtold

Using a light weight shimano spinning reel. Some say when you lay down your spool of line you have to lay down the spool on the right side? So upside down or right side up?

Start with the label up and if you notice line coming off twisty, flip the spool over and try it that way. One thing you can also check is to make sure the line roller on your reel is working properly. Give it a shot of WD40 or some other grease. This should help.

Good Luck,

Corey Bechtold

Dan hit the nail on the head.. Everytime you close the bail by turning the handle you put a 1/2 twist in your line... doesnt matter who made the reel!..so you make 200 casts in a day.. 100 twists!... if you close the bail by hand.. no twists, plus you start that first loop in the correct spot!

Here is something else...using the lightweight jigs and stuff, there is'nt much tension on the line when you reel it in and you get looser loops on the spool. This, coupled with the twisting, causes snarls when you go to cast. We have the same problem once in awhile.

It seems like the more line you have on the spool, the worse the problem with the snarls. Then it gets down to the point where it seems to be okay.

Jigging can cause a lot of line twist, especially

with realy lite line. To avoid it, I always use a small swivel about a foot above the jig. Another good tip is when casting with spinning gear keep a finger along the side of the spool. When your bait is about to hit the water slow the line with your finger, this will eliminate the loops at the

front of the spool. grin.gif

"Ace" cool.gif

I have used Trilene XL 4 Lbs. on all of my ultralite fishing equipment. It has worked well. I know I should be using 2 lbs., but I can't tie it. I've tried and tried, and it breaks every time.

I just bought a couple of spools of the new Vanish line. It was an impulse buy. I am looking forward to trying it. The 4 lbs. is .007" dia. thk. where the Trilene XL is .008" dia. thk. I'll be spooling up the Vanish this weekend. And if my new boat ever gets doen, who knows, I might even get to fish.

Quote:

This is cool, getting some good feedback. But still I don't see anyone giving their preference for their favorite line?

I spoke with a local guide yesterday who gave me some great insight relative to the original question and the statement in quotes.

What he said is to avoid using floro-carbon line as it retains memory. And always close the bail with your hand, never the crank. Two things I never knew nor would think of.

As for spooling line - may not hurt to float the spool in order to determine the balanced side.

Up until my conversation with this kindly gentleman, I had the bait shops spool my line and each time I'd open the bail - well, we all know what a clutched spool looks like if we didn't use our thumb as the brake.

Anyway - this is a great site for answers. Also a great site for quality questions.

May your 2005 opener be blessed and your live well abundantly stocked. wink.gif

jigjigsk-

Favorite Line??

I haven't tried every line in the world but I know that mono used to frustrate the heck out of me. I decided to try Fireline a number of years ago and have kind of stuck with it. I was out shorefishing with my ultralite rod the other day which is spooled with 4lb Fireline and I really like it. I get pretty good casting distance with a small float and Flu-Flu and rarely have any problems with the line itself. It also has great strength if I tangle with a larger fish. The one thing I really like about Fireline is it doesn't have the memory that mono has. The line will lay in a straight line in the water and not get all curly.

Some of the other diehard panfisherman might say this is not a great line to use for this situation but it has been working for me.

Also, towards the end of ice fishing season, I spooled one of my lighter rods with 2lb P-Line Floro-Ice. My dozen or so days on the ice with that line were very good. You do have to be very careful while tieing knots. The line is very delicate but strong at the same time. I'll probably be spooling most of my ice rods with P-Line next winter.

I just use a Palomar knot.

I don't have a good knot to tie mono to Fireline. I usually just use straight Fireline with no leader.

One other thing to keep in mind while using a 'superline' like Fireline is how you spool it. You'll either need some mono backing behind the Fireline on your spool or I like to wrap a small piece of electrical tape around the spool before slipping the line onto the spool. Another wrap of electrical tape over the line doesn't hurt either. If you don't, the entire spool of line will slip on the spool in the future.

My thoughts are similar to hanson's in regard to Fireline, it's the only line I use. As mentioned in another thread about flurocarbon, or Vanish, I'm not a big fan. I love Fireline for all my reels. The strength is great, excellent sensitivity, no memory, and tying this stuff with a palomar knot is as easy as it gets. I use the smaller line for my ultra light and ice fishing, 10 Lb. for everything else. I also use 10 Lb Fireline for my lindy rig leaders. I know a lot of guys swear you have to have a mono leader for lindys. I've fished side-by-side with guys using mono and the fish don't seem to care. However, none of the lakes I fish are gin clear.

If you're slip-floating, especially with small jigs, there's nothing in the lines system that resists twistsing. The line will twist if the jig twists, if the fish does, etc. Even a regular snap-bobber will help to resist line twist. A swivel will help.

Also remember that the smaller diameter line, the more abuse and damage it takes and the more responsive it is to every twist. In very light line more of the line's polymers are at or near the surface.

If you're in a boat trail the line without a lure in the air/water on the way to the fishing hole. This moistens and stretches the line and improves its limpness and if you trail it long enough it will reduce or eliminate twist.

Just think of it this way: We're fishing!

ice

I always liked 4lb XL for the light stuff. It's probably the same line causing you fits, hopefully not. I also flip the spool over if the line begins to twist when I drop the rod tip to the spool as was mentioned above. I consider the reel full when I can open the bail and the line doesn't quite come off on its own. If I end up with larger amounts of slack after a cast or missing a strike I try to reel in the excess while placing tension(pinch it) on the line. It helps the line sit a little better on those little reels. hopefully those ideas help you a little.

It sounds like the Fireline group is pleased though so I may have to put some on one of the ultralights this year.

I've had good luck with 4lb Sensation as far as not making birds nests. Someone mentioned connecting Fireline to mono, check out the Back to Back Uni knot under line to line knots at this site: http://www.knotstoknow.com/Scripts/prodlist.asp?idCategory=20. It works awesome, and you can get a lot more use out of a spool of Fireline by having a mono backer.

Thanks for all the input. Now I have a few things to try. Even my 2 sons read this forum and they thought the replies to this were very interesting.

Tight lines to all, and to all a good bite. smile.gif

I always run my lines behind the boat with nothing on after spooling. Let out all your line and open up the boat for awhile. Use your thumb and pointer finger on the line while reeling it back in to help take out additional twist. Junky......