• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When is bait bait?

Duffman

What would the definition of bait be in terms of the new regs in SE MN??? Would a Powerworm be considered bait when it's on a bare hook? Would that same Powerworm be considered an artificial lure if it was on a jig, 'cause then it could be considered a plastic trailer? Is a salmon egg considered bait? How about a Powersalmon egg? Is the Gulp stuff considered artificial, or since it's bio-degradable, is it considered bait??? Just curious, any thoughts???

I guess the key-word with the new regs and bait usage is "artificial".

According to the DNR (just got off the phone with them), the line of Powerbait is a bit of a gray area since there are some newer bio (non-artificial) products used in their development, but it's still considered artificial. Basically, the PowerWorm and PowerSalmonEggs are plastic...and still artificial. Real Salmon Eggs...NOT artificial.

Corn is also not artificial, and therefore off-limits on streams with "artificial lures only" regulations.

In regards to the question of minnows being used on designated trout streams (that don't have artificial only regs) here in SE MN, they are okay to use. The confusion on the usage of minnows comes from page 26 of the regulations booklet where it is stated that minnows are "off-limits on designated stream trout LAKES".

It's really not too bad, and well worth your time to fish down in these parts.

The DNR has made it simpler to understand with their new "Trout Fishing Opportunities in Southeast Minnesota" book. Thanks to the input of many from this board and anglers around the area, the book is a great resource.

Quote:

WxGuy, the minnow thing has been misunderstood many times.
grin.gif

Yeah...I had to read it a few times, and misunderstood it myself. crazy.gif

I was told they're thinking of rewording that one in the next regulations book.

So Minnows ARE legal in MN trout streams???? I may just have to throw a few in a pop bottle for those special occasions........hmmmmm.

It is confusing as heck. I read....reread.....then browsed again just to make sure. And I was thinking it's okay to use them on a stream. But you never know, some CO's may not even know all the regs smile.gif

JPZ

check the regs, or signs posted near the streams,on whether you can use bait. minnows, worms, etc. There are quite a few streams that have changed to artificial lures only.