• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fixing broken auger pull string

Wahlberg

Question

My brother pulled too hard trying to start my auger and broke the string. I disassembled the top and re-tied the string but I can't get it to wind up right. It does not re-coil. I have a strikemaster lazer mag . I would rather not pay $45 to get it fixed. Any tips?

4 answers to this question

Most have a ribbon type recoil spring. When the rope broke that ribbon spring lost all of its tension. You will have to take apart the housing piece that it is in, recoil it and put it back in place. It is kinda hard to explain without you sitting next to me. It can be a pain but isn't that hard to do. Good luck.

Same thing happened to my strikemaster last week. Took it apart on Christmas and it is a real pain to wind the recoil. After my limit of five darn heimers I took it in and had someone else do it for $28.

Wahlberg If you put it together right you should have a little recoil but not enough to retract all the way. If thats the case you didn't preload the spring enough. Take it apart but leave the retaining screw on the spool. Take the handle off the rope and pull through the hole in the cover. You'll see a notch on outside rim of the spool. Get the rope in that notch and turn the spool, you should feel the tension increasing as you turn. Give it as many turns as you figure it needs the give it a try.

If you have no tension on the spring you have something wrong. You could have spooled the line the wrong direction. Or the center end of the spring isn't in the peg on the inside of the the spool. Or the outside end of the spring isn't connected to the case.