Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Hemlock

To bring, or not to bring...across the border to Canada

I'm pretty sure smelt has been banned in all forms in Ontario for quite some time, I'm sure Hemlock will comment as well. The concept is that they don't want them spread to their waters I believe....

There are certain parts of Canada that don't allow you to use frozen smelt as bait. I think frozen smelt are allowed in the the Thunder Bay area and west a ways. Anyway this is the way it is written in their game laws. What part of Canada were you in?

Dennis, I called with that question to the Fort Francis border crossing and they said: "No, they are not allowing it in." I said, "Who's not allowing it in?" They said, "The department of Agriculture." OK, I guess that's that. Sorry dude. I've got some tenderloins left from last year if you want some. (Acutually, that's some MN deer in my freezer, oops) blush.gif

HEMLOCK.........Do you have a HSOforum with the fisheries rules and regs? I am going to Atikokan, Browns Clearwater and am looking for some regs.........

What are Limits for adults & kids?

How many lines per person?

What about bring some home....How many? Leave a patch on em?

Any other major changes from MN DNR?

Haven't been thru the International Falls border for several years....what is the average time in line on a Saturday morning? Heading up to Minnitaki in a couple weeks.

Usually we get in line by or before 7:00am, and it's usually not too bad if I remember. Just a few vehicles is all. One year I think we hit it at around 9:00 or 10:00am and it was close to a 45min. wait.

Hey Pikestrike was the traffic patteren any different this week than last? How about the wait times on the sad southbound return trip? That direction has been a lot longer wait the past several years.

This weekend the wait was a bit longer in Intl Falls according to the HSOforum. Into Canada it was already over an hour at 8 AM and cooled off to 30 min at 2 PM. Going the other way, the peak (of 2 hours) was at 1 PM though it was still 90 mins at 2PM.

We are going to Lake St. Joe this month and I know we can't take raw potatoes accross the Canadian border. How about frozen hash browns? Thanks.

Quote:

Items in question:

No potatoes. Canned potatoes are allowed as are frozen hashbrowns, ole's etc. Just not raw, in bag, potatoes.

Beef is allowed. Must be less than 10 pounds.

Does that mean I can bring 10 pounds of dried or jerked beef or a combination?

Also - I have 1/2 pound blocks of 8 & 10 year old cheddar - can I bring that with?

Going to Kasba smirk.gif

On a side note - how buggie is NW Territory in August - should I bring a head net?

Planning a duck hunting trip to Manitoba this Fall. As far as I know noone in our party has any criminal record to worry about. However, I was wondering if there is any way to get "pre-approved" (ie sending in paperwork ahead of time so we and Canada know we are good to go) as to guarantee entry so we don't have to turn back at the border because of some surprise.

Thanks for a great thread Hemlock!

-Voyageur

Voyaguer - I took my dad to the NW Sports show in March and picked up a "know before you go" booklet from US Customs booth - their phone number is 877-237-5511. You might want to call and ask that question. As for the booklet, it is not country specific, and gives only shallow examples of what to bring or not. I am a Litchfield native - My best to you on your upcoming trip.

Here are a couple links giving general guidelines -

Going into Canada:

http://canadaonline.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=canadao

nline&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.inspection.gc.ca%2Fenglish%2Fcorpaffr%2Fpublic

ations%2Fcanada%2Fcanadae.shtml

Coming into the US:

http://help.customs.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_fa

qid=82&p_created=1043364936&p_sid=7xTYA1hi&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp

=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD01NjUmcF9wcm9kcz0

mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnB

fcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

"One case" Is that by the day? We've always brought 3-5 cases per person for seven days. Sorry, I'm practicing right now!

Oops. That's why we paid that tax.

Quote:

Come now fellow fishermen .Your tourists in our land and as tourist spend some money and leave alot of your stuff at home because if you don't your considered squatters . You get a great exchange on your dollar and your GST back which is more than us residents do so if your going to play amongst us and use our resources also share a bit of your cash because we pay for it in spades . I'm not saying you should buy big ticket items but bait,booze,gas ,fidos food etc . Come on ,,,don't be so frigging cheap . Even when I travel further north in Ontario I try to help boost the economy of the area I'm fishing in and I don't get more for my dollar or GST back as you do.

TD

haha, now the exchange is horrible, the prices are high and there is no return on our GST now :-)

My how times can change.

I'm heading to Ontario in 2 weeks - what can I expect the duty to be on case of beer #2? I generally only bring my allowance and buy more in Canada. However, my fishing buddy is telling me it's cheaper to bring everything across and pay the duty. I'm not convinced so I'm looking to see what people are "really" paying.

--Tim

If you call one of the numbers below, they should be able to give you an exact $ amount.

Rainy River/Baudette 807-852-3341

Fort Frances/International Falls 807-274-3655

Pigeon River/?? 807-964-2093

Toll Free Automated Service 800-461-9999