• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A new boat, just not mine...on board charger question?

dfv87

Question

My brother in law just bought a boat a 2002 lund pro sport and it comes with a dual bank charger. But it also has a 24 Volt bow mount (minn 65#) and a starting battery. It is my understanding, which is confused most of the time, that he would need a 3 bank charger for this set up. Am I correct?

5 answers to this question

Yes, a three bank charger is needed to charge all three batteries. You can use the dual bank to charge deep cycle batts. for trolling motor. ***Each batt. needs a set of wire leads***. I just changed from a dual bank to a three bank for my 3 batts. and basically set it and forget it, easy peasey.

Hooked

I have the same battery set up, one for starting and other electrical (lights, bilge pump, livewell pump, graph, gps, etc.) and two for the 24 volt trolling motor. I run a 2-bank to the trolling motor batteries and let the alternator on the main motor charge the starting battery. If fishing at night, with the livewell pump on (yay!!) without a lot of running around with the main motor, I will check the starting battery with a voltmeter and top it off if needed with a portable charger. This has worked well for me. If I was rigging a new boat, I would get a 3-bank with one for the starting battery, just more convenient. I don't think it is necessary to change from the 2-bank to the 3-bank.