• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

starter

wmn luv me walleye fearme

Question

I have a 50 horse Mercury 2 stroke and when I turn the key the starter spins but does not engage the fly wheel. (It spins in place and does not fire upwards to engage it) Any ideas at all? I just got my boat back from storage and not sure if I need to replace it or if there is something I can do on it?

Thanks a lot

10 answers to this question

Actually I havent tried that, pretty clueless on it but should I tap on the cylinder or the actual spinning piece of metal?

Nature Boy should have retired about 15 years ago but still one of my favorite all time lines. He'll probably be wresting untill he's 70

Thanks

Spray some WD40 on the shaft where starter gearspins, and if you can lift it up it will help. You will have to rotate it and spin at same time, it won't go up and down straight.

I went home last night and when i turned the key was able to manually get it to pop up. When it engages the fly wheel though its not able to turn it (It turns it real real slow) and then when I get it to pop back down I cant get it to fire up on its own the next time. I tried spraying it with wd -40 but no difference. Its a 4 year old Mercury maybe I need to replace it? Is it pretty difficult to replace a starter? I;m trying to avoid taking it anywhere as I know it usually takes them a long long time to get to it

thanks

Have you cleaned and checked all the terminals and connections? When I first got a boat with the drivers safety/ejection switch, I (no less than three different times) would stop to fish, stand up and pull the lanyard out and when I tried to start it would off course not. Again no less than three times I would check the terminals, pull off the cowl and pull plugs, etc before realizing my own folly - wouldn't have been bad once, but.... grin.gifgrin.gif

The battery is likely OK, but it does sound like a connection issue.