• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flasher units

Norco

Question

I see alot of people inquiring about flasher units and would like to say I think they are over priced for what they do. I bought a FL-18 last Feb and used it for last season and part of this and found it did not improve my success for walleye or perch. Problem I found was half the time the fish hung to the bottom in the dead zone and you could not tell if one was around let alone going to take the lure. I sold the unit and fished without it a couple of days and did as good or better then previous trips. If any gadget I might look at a camera but for the money spent I found them not to be worth it. Maybe the Marcum or Lowrance would be better but I was not pleased with the Vexilar FL-18.
Cheers!!

6 answers to this question

I think your trolling, but I'll bite.

You really got me confused here? If you could not tell if one was around, how did you know they were there?

The only "Dead Zone" you will find with a flasher/sonar, is if your cone angle does not match the contour. If the gradient it too sharp your cone will read the first bottom it finds, leading to a "Dead Zone" effect beyond the leading edge signal. You have 3 options then, move to a flatter contour, live with it, or go to a narrower beam transducer.

You have 1/2" target separation in Zoom mode on a FL-18. If anything is there, you will see them. That is assuming you have your gain set properly for the conditions your facing.

With the FL-18 you would also be capable of "Target ID-ing" other fish in the peripheral perimeter of the cone. You do this by means of supple changes in the color patterns of the leading signal edge below the true bottom signal.

If they are not there, ya can't catch um. If they don't want to bite, move. Fish catchable fish instead of lookers.

A flasher can't call in fish or force the fish to bite. Well, not just yet anyway.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

In my opinion, the flasher is one of the few pieces of equipment that will without any doubt improve your fishing success once you learn to use the unit properly. Some units are better than others, I prefer the MarCum LX-3, but they will all help you catch more fish. I fished many years with my FL-8 with good success as well. I feel lost without my flasher now. I tried fishing without the flasher a couple weeks ago and caught about 3 fish in 3 hours. I then used my flasher and could see the fish were there, just not active at all. It took a slight change in presentation and a lot of coaxing, but I iced 10 in 30 minutes with the flasher. The Vex. and MarCum flashers will both catch you more fish, period. If it isn't working for you, you likely aren't using it to it's potential or you have a defective unit.

Norco
Give yourself time to adjust to using the flasher on ice. You'll pick up a lot tricks. If you have your gain to high you'll wash out the bottom. A rock on the side of your cone angle will return as bottom if your gain is to high. Remember the outside of your cone angle is weak. Turn your gain down till you barely register your jig 1' off the bottom. Now lower your jig to the bottom and note how much line you let out, the difference is your dead zone. Set your gain as low as possible now in order to see bottom Don't worry about seeing your jig. Now when a bottom hugging eye comes through you may see it with some separation or the bottom could have come up a hair or you may only notice your bottom became brighter. Its the sutle differences your looking for in these conditions. Another trick when fishing a dead zone is to slowly lift you jig up once and a while to where you can see it on the flasher. Many times you'll have them negative fish follow it up and hit. This gives you an indication on the fish's mood and ensures you there are fish down there.

"You really got me confused here? If you could not tell if one was around, how did you know they were there?"

I would catch them when they are on the bottom 6 inches where the flasher picks nothing up all day long. This is just my opinion and am happy you guys are having so much success, maybe my vex was not working 100%. If I do get another in the future I'll definetly try the Marcum LX-3.
Cheers

I don't have a problem fishing a dead zone with fl-18. I can see them move down there when the bottom is a solid red then a flicker of yellow shows. Which wasn't there in the daytime, so believe it to be eyes. It's getting them to bite is what my issue is. Oh well, I guess I have to do some more testing/fishing this Sat.