• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crawlers

LMITOUT

I saw the post about leeches so I figured I'd ask if there is anyone here who picks their own nightcrawlers. I have a honeyhole in my front yard and did quite well last year. I would think they should be laying out soon if it'd heat up some during the day.

What are your favorite tricks and techniques? I picked up a larger crawler-crib for my harvest this year and hope to keep them around longer.

Im thinking about going out tonight after all this rain we got.

I keep my crawlers in a older fridge that we have, then if I get some leeches too I will also keep them in it. I have the temp in it around 45º or so... I cant remember. BTW what temp do crawlers prefer anyhow?

I keep my crawlers in a homemade wooden box. It works great, just have to keep the bedding moist and it isnt a issue. smirk.gif

I went out last night, got a bunch, 2 guys we had an icecream bucket full in about 2 hours. Heres a little tip, if you have a hard time picking them up off pavement, use a pencil, slide it underneath them and just lift them up while holding them to the pencil. Works slick.

I have been keeping crawlers in large quantities for years. The big worm ranches work well for this. Keeping in a 'fridge works well, just don't have the temp too low. I have kept them on the basement floor in a dark corner with success. Keeping a damp newspaper on top of the bedding helps alot. I feed my crawlers cornmeal and it keeps them big and sassy. Before going out on a fishing trip take a empty cottage cheese or butter container and put a little bedding in with about five to seven dozen crawlers. This should fill it up about half way. Pack the rest of the container with a little more than damp shredded newspaper, put lid on with holes and put in 'fridge a couple of days before you go fishing. Your worms will absorb the water from the paper and be a little harder in texture from the cold. Be careful when you open the lid, the crawlers will be rarin' to wrestle some fish into the boat for you!!!

When I was younger, I used to keep crawlers for years. They need to be cool, but not too cold. I kept them in a styrofoam cooler in an old fridge and used commercial buss bedding. Occasionally I would feed them commercial worm food. Pick through them daily and get rid of any that look ill. I always kept a moist piece of burlap on top of them (they would use that to scrape off their clitellum (fertilized egg sac). They can crawl right up the sides of most containers, keep them tightly covered, maybe with a couple of holes that are screened for aereation. Keep them moist but not too wet. I remember how surprised I was (and pleased) the first time I noticed baby crawlers in my "mix". Ah, for the good old days! laugh.gif

I thought it might be a little early for crawlers yet, but after reading the replies here I decided to grab a flashlight and check it out. It wasn't long and I had to get a bucket. Picked two dozen in no time and mixed up some bedding. If I stayed at it, I'm sure I could have picked a lot more but figured that was enough for tonight.

I almost made a mistake and used tapwater for the bedding mix. I then thought I didn't have any fresh water around and remembered a jug of distilled in the garage so I was lucky. I'll be after more soon!

This might be a stupid question but lets say one year you pick a whole bunch of crawlers out and then the next will the same amount be back or have you picked them all out of that spot because i've seemed to notice theres not as many as years before?

I'm not sure how many you'd have to pick to clean them out or if it's even possible. I went back to the same spots tonight where I got all of them last year, and they are still there in that area pretty thick.

Nope you cant pick them out dry...thats pretty much impossible. But I started to search for those buggers about 4 years ago in my yard, back then they were thick around here. Now I go out and I don't get as many as I used to, I think I thinned them a bit. But after tonight I seemed to get a lot again, so they come back.

Finally I went out tonight (first time this year) for about 45mins and got about 5 doz or so. I would say I got a good 3 doz (big ones) for walleye fishing later on the rest are for panfishing. I also could of stayed out and searched on the other side of the house (bigger side, but known to be the less productive b/c of a street light) but I didn't. So I think I will go out tomorrow night again and get some more since my lawn seemed to be packed for once. For some reason the neighbors house on my side is good too, they seem to dont care, so I get to pick two lawns! More for me! lol grin.giftongue.gif

Ohh BTW brother bro you come get your worms otta my fridge now! tongue.gif

A trick I use during dry spells, or if I need a few right away, is to throw the floor mats from the car in the yard, stick a garden hose under it, and let the water run for a couple minutes. Then just pick up the mat, and start grabbing 'em. You can catch a bunch real quick in the middle of the day this way.

When I was a kid that was the only way we could get any bait was to catch our own. We had a big old 20 gallon crock in the corner of the garage and we could keep a lot of crawlers in that baby! Used to put the used coffee grounds in there for them to eat. We had to dump them in the fall though as we were not allowed to bring them into the house. Man, I sure wish that I had that crock now... not only was it great for keeping crawlers it would probably be worth a buck or two. We always hunted them with flashlights after a good rain! I remember being amazed at how fast they can get back into their holes! Have a good one and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Localguide your SLACKING.... 5 dozen and all them lawns man...when I was a young'n I did better than that.... grin.gif

I'll stop by in a couple of days and get your rewards! laugh.gif

Keep working at it someday you'll be like your old man wink.gif

Lol, I could out pick you anyday! grin.gif

To be like you, (already am) well I would say my senior year is about the same as you. "Work less, play more" wink.gif Mine is more like go to school less and play more, went golfing today! Didnt have 4th-7th hour. LOL wink.gif