• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Getting Rid Of Fish Smell On Hands

protrapper

Question

If your like me and can't stand fish smell on your hands after fishing or filleting. Use that odor removing hunting soap that hunters uses. It gets rid of the smell pretty good. Then your wife or girlfriend wont complain about the smell. Any of them odor removing soaps should work. Just happened to try it with some that I had left over from bowhunting.

Good Fishin,

Trapper

If you have a stainless Steel kitchen sink, rub your hands on the surface after cleaning up. The Stainless Steel helps to neutralize the fishy smell.

If you can get an ODOR OFF stainless steel bar, they are great!
odor_off_package.jpg

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

Wear rubber gloves when cleaning your fish.
Its all I do and it works great. No more messy, bloody, fish scaley hand! And on the inside your hand is just as clean as when u put it in. grin.gif
But do use the powered gloves, as they are better.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300

Eddy: Does that "Odour Off" gadget really work???? I had one given to me for X-Mas last year and just couldn't force myself to try it. They bought it for me because they heard me talking about the scent on your hands causing the kitties to be gun shy. As U are aware I am very conscious of scent on my hands when baiting up for kitties.

To get rid of the odour after a day on the Red from cat fishing I use that mechanic stuff called "Gojo" Orange, and found it works the best.

I don't know if I can use that stainless steel thing, CONVINCE ME.

Canuck I was not an easy sell on the whole Stainless Steel bar deal. I fought it for some time until I just had to admit there was something to it.

Big Bud Shanon is a firm believer, so I kept trying the SS sink trick, mostly just to shut him up. But it works, I'll have to admit it.

What really sold me was this. I spoke with some guys (Clients) from New York City who are from a 3rd generation fish market family. "Fish Mongers" they call themselves out East I guess? They all use them SS bars at the markets and swear they are the best there is for removing the fish scent. There guys play in fish guts just as much, if not more then, we do as catfish guides. So I had to take it a bit more seriously then.

They use a two step approach though. First the SS bar, then a lemon slice rubbed in the hands or a lemon/water wash. No soap, they say the soap just seals the smell in the skin. They swear between the two your scent free. I tried the 2 step deal and would have to agree it cuts it down in a big way.

I do like that citrus base Go-Joe too, that is handy, easy to carry, and it does help.

I smelled a Snipe Hunt on the whole SS Bar deal for some time, now I do think it does have merit.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

[This message has been edited by Ed Carlson (edited 12-24-2003).]

I used to use soap and the spice ginger. However, my wife doesn't like the smell of ginger, so now I use a combo of hand soap and toothpaste- works great!
Ed, I wanted to give one of those metal gizmos, but I've never seen them in a store.
Scoot

The worst is northern pike after they have been sitting on the ice. Just makes their slime impossible, but I love to eat them so it sucks. I don't like wearing gloves because I can't grip or feel as well. Just wash with soap and then use lemon juice(from a lemon or from the kind out of those little lemon shaped plastic containers at the produce section). It works well.

Pickle juice.
When I'm catfishing I like to take a small jar of pickles along in the cooler and pour off a little of the brine onto my hands, rub 'em, then rinse. Works for getting foreign scents off prior to handling bait, and get bait scent off prior to handling lunch.

The pickles come in handy, too. Yummmmm.

Rob

Mrclean and Fishing addict
AND it keeps your nails glossy white grin.gifgrin.gif
I have actually never heard of this,I stumbled on it one day when my hands had a nasty smell and i could not find the soap but the toothpaste was there so i used it!
It works great for polishing metal too,It works good on lures!tho i don't think i would use on fine silver! I like the live well tip also!

------------------
Try Too Fish
Forced Too Work!!:)

I've used Basic H before with very good results for anything from fish to gas to gear lube. No I'm not a Shaklee salesman, but used to live next to people who were and used Basic H a lot. It's also odorless (or at least used to be) so I'd use it to shower during deer season.

You mean wiping you wet slimy hands off on your pants ain't good enough. smile.gif

After filleting fish I do my clean up with soapy bleach water and it seems to take care of my fishy hands too.
An application of Vaseline on your hands before any smelly job will greatly reduce the smells and fluids from penetrating you skins pours.

8 parts water one part Pine Sol, it's great and makes you smell North Woodsy. Store it in a plastic bottle, usually you won't be able to find it then you just wipe em on your pants like said before.

First wash hands with anti-bacterial soap and a scrub brush, scrub like your getting ready for surgery. Second rub lemon juice or orangs, any citrus, the acid in the citrus strips the stench away and leaves your skin smelling fresh.

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

Ya mean there not supposed to smell like fish? Ruh roh... Actually if I dont come home smelling like walleyes the wife becomes suspicious. So I make sure I'm stinkin it up! lol Toss me another leech and have one fer yerself!lolol Good fishin! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387 home
701-261-9525 cell
[email protected]
N.P.A.A. 425
Quality Bait and Tackle, Detroit Lakes Mn
www.scenictackle.com
North Country Outdoors Radio 99.3 fm
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie