• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marcum Problem?

TurkeyNateDog

Question

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if there is anything I can do to fix it. My buddies Marcum was working great for the first 30 minutes of fishing last night and then all of a sudden the screen went blank. All you could see was a big red mark at the zero level. We tried everything from switching batteries and double checking the connections but couldn't figure out what happened. Is there any way that the unit can be reset? I didn't see anything online and sent Marcum an email but haven't heard back yet. My buddy will probably have to send it in to Marcum but just wondering if there is something that can be done in the meantime? Thanks!

8 answers to this question

I believe he did ask Marcum customer service, but being so close to Christmas, I'm not sure he got a response. I havn't talked to him since yesterday, so I'm not sure if he got a response from them. Do you suppose a fuse blew?

I'll weigh in here with the experience with my Marcum LX-3. I bought my first unit last December at Cabela's. Yeah, I know, I was one of the guinea pigs.(I was going to buy a Vexilar, but I had a bunch of Cabela's Cash to use and Cabela's had dropped Vex's)
That unit did exactly what you are describing after about 3 uses (no reading)
I called Marcum, they had me ship it up to Monticello, and they sent me a new unit very quickly, I was only out the 5 bucks for shipping. Used the 2nd unit about 5 times, then it does the same thing. I send it back again and get another new unit. 3rd unit sits in the garage all summer without ever being used. I finally find a transom transducer, mount on my boat and wow! it will not even power up. Send it back and I am now on my 4th unit which has worked the 2x I have used it so far.
Marcum never informed me what they found with the first three.
I am hoping that those were first year glitches that will go away.
Now, having said all that, I think the unit is awesome when it works. (I have not used a Vex much, so cannot compare). The detail is good, the charging system is great and the case is nice. Also, it has a 2 year warranty and the tech support was great every time.
I have not heard of any one else having the kind of problems I have had.
I would buy one again I think.