• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Erie

Heading to Erie in a week and a half with some other guys. It will be my first trip there and I can't wait to get there. I like open water trolling and am hoping we have 3 good days of it. Have any of you guys been out there, and how was it?

I've gone out the last 2 years but in the Fall. We go out of Huron Ohio and stay at the Gull motel.....fitting name. We usually pull Reef Runners 40' to 150' feet back. We did catch a couple fish on crawler harnesses with a snapweight about 50'(50/50 method) ahead of the spinner. At that time we found the most active fish higher in the water column but the bigger ones 7#+ were deeper.

I guess I'm not helping you any for this time of year but good luck. I do know a guy out of Huron, if you are going that way I'll see if I can find anything for this time of year.

We're leaving on the 20th and fishing the 21st - 23rd. Staying in Port Clinton and hoping to find the big females sliding off the spawning reefs. We're fishing out of 18' aluminum boats (one of them is mine). OK, everybody say it together ....... calm winds, calm winds, calm winds grin.gif

My email is [email protected]. Any advice you have hillbiehle would be greatly appreciated.

Rost, I see you're from Madison SD. My folks lived there before they retired, after I went off to college so I never lived there myself.

I leave in 2 days. Been watching the reports and getting some first hand reports and it is HOT out there right now! Lots of fish, lots of big fish. I can't wait.

Hopefully we can talk when we get out there Rost - have a good trip!

We're getting similar reports from our friends. Limits by 8 or 9 in the morning, fish biting all day long, RRs working great and everything else working good. They got 4 fish that were 30"+ in their first 90 minutes on the water. Wow.

The weather has been great out there the last week....but here comes a cold front. I believe I saw it is supposed to rain with temps in the 40's on Saturday. Back up to the 50's and steady after Sunday. I wonder how this will affect the bite?

Good luck fellas! We're leaving 5:30 am Thursday.

I don't know what to tell you about Memorial Day weekend. We're going out there now to target post spawn females but that pattern will be done by Memorial Day. Hillbiehle would probably have some good ideas though.

As long as the water isn't choclate and the waves are manageble, you can always catch fish. Even if the walleyes are tight lipped a 3oz bottom bouncer will pick up a few by drifting. Don't forget about the smallies. The other overlooked fish are the largemouths in the canals.

Thanks Mike!

What an experience! I was very fortunate to draw three guys with great programs going. I learned a lot about open water trolling.

I will give you a ring somtime this week. I need all of your coordinants for Thompson this Sunday wink.gif

See you then!

Rost

For some reason I can not send you my pics. We have been going north for the past couple weekends and catching a boat load. Ranging from 24 to 27". They are to big to eat, but a blast to catch..