• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to do with carp that you bow fish?

I have never bow fished but I bought a setup this winter and plan to do some this year. What do you do with the ones you get? How do you collect them while bowfishing (i.e. a sled you pull or what?). Any input?

Second, anytips for a novice bowfisher? Technique, secrets I should know etc?

Well I have a big rubbermaid container I keep in the back of my truck that I just toss them into... just shoot them and throw them on shore, then when you are done walk back and collect them. Then you need to have a pit dug or some place where u can toss them, or smoke them or whatever... As far as tips go, aim low!!! Try not to shoot Buffalo, and any where that a stream goes through a culvert I would keep an eye on...

Way to go Brian! It's great to hear you're practising "sight and release" with buffalos. I also believe in murdering the carp, but letting the buffalos roam. After all, the buffalos are fighting against the exotic carp too, and buffalo clean the water in duck sloughs as opposed to muddying it up like carp do. You're a true conservationist and a credit to the sport of bowfishing.

That interesting to hear that about buffies. I did not know that before that they will clean the water for ducks. That is a good thing you said this, or I probably would have shot some this may.

Yea i think we have to do as much as possible to better this whole carp mess, even though it isn't much. The problem is that no one knows about buffalo, a lot of guys don't even know they exist. I only got into the sport about 2 years ago, but I think I got it down pretty good when shooting them in a stream. One thing I am going to do this year that I don't have a lot of experience with is shooting from my boat. I am from Faribault and we have a lot of shallow weedy bays that the carp just roam around in, I figure i might be able to extend the season a little longer if I go into the lakes after them. Any of you guys have any tips on this? Thanks in advance- Brian

Get up high. I made a platform that just goes accross from one side of the boat to the other. It makes a world of difference for visibility. Also, if you can mount a trolling motor in the front, you can drive and shoot at the same time. This is a very good way to kill carp.