• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

stink-bait help...

Aquaman01

I have some roe that I want to turn into ballable bait-mash for cats, carp, sucker and panfish. I want a mix that isn't rotten-smelly, but has mostly the natural scent of the roe and will stay in a ball on the hook.

I was theorizing mixing the roe, a little salt, flour and corn syrup.

Any ideas?

Thanks planenut! Is Borax a chemical or brand-name? Will the smell spook off cats?

I'm a little bit of an aircraft buff myself - I was a mechanic on A-10a's in the 'cold war'. My favorite acft of all-time is the P-51 Mustang.

Catman71-I like the berkeley stuff for convenience and have had some luck with it, thanks for the input and welcome to the forum!

What I have is sucker eggs (sucker roe) and I noticed while gutting the suckers prior to freezing that the roe smells a LOT like the fresh flesh. I've heard that lots of cat-guys have stink-bait recipes, and want to know what I can do with these bags-o-eggs.

I like figuring out ways of doin' things - it's part of the sport for me. Whether it's something that saves me money, or something that few have noticed before. I love it when I find that not only does 2 + 2 = 4, but 2.75 + 1.25 = 4 as well.

I also like the idea of using as much of the animal as possible.

I use the blood flavor Berkely stuff and can catch cats on a plain hook with it. I also have luck with frogs, crawlers, minnows and leeches or any combination of things. I tip anything with the stink bait and it seems to get strikes faster. I always get a scoop of crappie minnows to entertain my kid and last week I caught a few on a Kahle hook with 3 or 4 crappie minnows on it. I just like action (usually bring my 3 year old) and we catch a lot of fish but nothing very big. We fish on the chain in Cold Spring and there are so many cats in there I bet i could get one on an old shoe if I tried. I would like to catch a few bigger ones though.