• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Repairing plastic gas tank

Havin' Fun

Question

Any suggestions for repairing my plastic tank on my auger? It cracked last winter after my buddy slipped and fell and dropped the auger. Any adhesive stuff work on a gas tank or do I need to just go get a new one? Anyone ever replace theirs? Coud I melt the plastic a little to seal the crack?

5 answers to this question

Hammer em'
I have sealed a pin hole in a lawn mower gas tank with an electric soder iron but if it is a big crack it will be tough!
I have not found any glues that stand up to gas!

------------------
Try Too Fish
Forced Too Work!! smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Try Too Fish (edited 12-23-2003).]

There is a process called Sonic Welding that welds plastics. Odds are it will cost you as much as, or more then, a new tank once you run around to get it fixed.

Epoxies and the like may work, although if it were to dissolve into the fuel system, your going to have bigger problems then the tank.

I would suggest you spring for the new tank and be done with it. You are likely going to time & money ahead by doing so.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

Hammer'em

I don't know that this will work on plastic and cracks, but it sure works on metal tanks.

Go to your local Napa store. Ask for their gas tank seal. I had a gas tank in a old pickup - was leaking - steady drip. Applyed the seal product (the stuff I had was a white paste). I applied it to the tank and it sealed the leak as I watched.

UG

I got a new tank for my Jiffy a couple years ago and it was around $20 I believe like Eddy said once you get the epoxy which will probably be around $10 you can seal it but it probably won't last and like he said if it gets into your fuel then you will have more of a repair bill than a tank originally costed in the first place.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]