• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

line twist

island guy

Question

6 answers to this question

I use Berkley (XL, I think) mono backing, and a small #3 ball bearing swivel (the expensive, streamlined kind) tied to that. Below the swivel I use a leader section of Flourocarbon P- line and then my lure. That really tames the twisties for me.

The swivel is small enough so it reels right through the guides and does not hang up.

You may be applying to much pressure or resistance to the line when spooling it up. What line are ya using? How are ya spooling it on? Dont fill your spool 100% full. When filling your spool and you get a loop in the line flip the filler spool over. Also spooling at some baitshops can be a nightmare because of the highspeed the line is spooled on at. They aalso tend to overfill, go about 3/4 of a spool.

Couple of things that arent being mentioned yet. When spooling a spinning reel make sure you have the label up on the spool that way the line is going on the reel the same direction that its comming off the main spool. Check it every so many handle turns. If its twisting, turn the main spool over and do a few handle turns and check again.

Secondly, If you have a fish on and you are reeling against the drag(turning the handle while the spool is letting out line or not mooving at all) you are then also putting twists in your line.

**buying expensive line will not help in line twists. Braids will not end line twist eaither. ALL LINE TWIST THE SAME... I hat to say this but if you have having twisting problems its operator error.**

Best of luck...