• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

computer help.

Crappie Killer

Question

12 answers to this question

Depending on the model, and how old it is, the plastic "key" itself should pop off quite easily. I just used the standard screwdriver blade of my Leatherman to pop off my space bar just now. Pretty much anything will clean it, alcohol being preferred by myself. If it is an older keyboard, more than 5 years or so, it may not come off as easily.

fp

------------------
"Cast riiiiight....there."

Spacebar?
Crappie Killer..you.don't.need.no.Stinking.Spacebar!

You.can.take.the.board.apart..and.clean.the.pad.&.buttons.
(I.had.enough.crumbs.in.mine.to.fill.a.bird-feeder.) grin.gif

Oh-ya..it's.lots.of.fun.too...enjoy!
Before.you.try.it..get.a.spare.board..just.in.case.
wink.gif

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

On the mac. depending on what keyboard you have..the whole top comes off then you can get to the bottom of the keys that way.

when you chose your cleaner try to pic something that will evaporait quickly..or make cam sure its dry before yea plug it back in.

if all else fails buy a new windows puter..
but be prepaired for it to crash witch would be something new to you as you know macs dont crash.. lol
good luck

DaveO

Don't hammer Macs. Children can be taught to operate Macs more easily than PCs.

If your Mac is only three years old, I'm assuming that you have the Apple Pro keyboard. You can pry up the corner and pop it off. Use compressed air to blow out the crumbs. Get rubbing alcohol (100% is best but 70% will work) and use a Q-tip to work out any substance that doesn't belong. Finish up with a fresh Q-tip and compressed air. Allow the rubbing alcohol to evaporate before you reassemble.

Here's a link to a help site:
http://www.technology.niagarac.on.ca/people/bgracey/prokeyboardrepair.html

This may sound crazy but I've seen it work more than once , put the keyboard in the dishwasher keys down and run it through the cycle.
I know.... but I'm serious.
Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Baydog (edited 12-19-2003).]

Rubbing alcohol. Smeared it in the crease with a
Qtip. Then blew in it real hard. Works like a champ.

I can't really get in to the imac/pc debate. As little as I know about computers, my opinion would matter to no one.

Thanks to all who replied with suggestions.

I owned several Macs for my music business when I lived in L.A. The softwares for the film and music industries are almost exclusively for Mac. I still own one.
They don't bog down like PC's do. I now own a PC only because I'm not in the music industry and most of the after-market softwares (and games...I love "Ghost Recon")are mostly made for PC...wish I had a new Mac. Someday....they are the Mercedes Benz of computers...and they cost as much too.
I bought this PC for $700 (included: JBL speakers, Epson Photo Printer, Epson scanner, Compaq monitor and tower, 52x, 24x CD rom)...cheap, all I could afford is PC!!!