• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Propane Tanks (Revisited Again)

Evenflow

Question

Have a small propane tank I like to use for early season ice fishing, however it has the old style knob on the valve. The tank is relatively new (late 90s) and I have compared it to a tank I know has the old style valve on it and to one tank that I know has the new style valve. It appears that the small tank has a new style valve with an old knob. I know the important part of the new valves is the shut off float in the tank, but does anyone know if there were some tanks made in the late 90's that might have both the new valve and guts (float) as well as an old knob?
Can you tell if there is a float just by the valve style or would you have to have a professional take it apart?

Thanks.

Evenflow

------------------
It's all just theory till you hit the water.

11 answers to this question

Evenflow,
I can't answer your questions completely, but I can add something what the propane suppliers told me last year.

There should be a date stamped on the tank somewhere, likely on the top half. I was told if the tank was manufactured less than 10 years ago, they can re-fill. That's what I was told, some change in the original guidelines when they changed it up 2 seasons ago?

Evenflow, Yes there are tanks with the OPD valve without the triangle shaped handle, in fact I have one, and no I cant get it filled. I also heard about dated tanks but don't know the cutoff date.
I'd hate to buy a new valve only to find out my tank is expirerd. Anyone know the date?

ST- The cut off is 10 years, then the tank needs to be reinspected. As for not having the right handle, I guess that's what started this whole mess. My Dad is a firm believer that the requirement to switch EVERYONE over to OPD tanks is safety overkill. (He's been using them his whole life and never had a problem) So when I mentioned that my tank looks OPD but has the wrong handle he told me that you can buy the handles at Menards. I guess I've been debating putting a new handle on the tank, but I really don't want to do it if the valve isn't OPD. You've given me some hope.
Is there an "expert" somewhere that I could take the tank to and confirm my beliefs?
I live in the south metro, thanks.

Evenflow

Are you guys thinking it is the OPD because it has both the internal and external threads? Many tanks had this in the last few years before the new valve was required but are not fitted with the internal float.

Regardless of the valve handle shape the brass valve will have OPD stamped on it somewhere if it is an OPD valve. The over-fill protection device is now required but filling by weight is still the primary means of filling and the OPD is secondary because the arm/float in the tank could malfunction.

Hope this clears things up
Signed,
A Ferrellgas Employee

------------------