• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Problems starting and running Strikemaster

mtheis

Question

Hello Everyone! My dad got us a nice Lazer XL-3000 on a great sale at Gander Mountain. My problem on the ice is starting it and keeping it running. This is my first power auger, the others I have owned have been hand augers.

I need to prime it about 5 times after I shut it off everytime, and then after I manage to drill the hole it won't keep running much longer. It appears it just dies out? I watch the choke and play with it, but really I don't see much affect.

Does everyone have to fiddle with their Lazer that much, and what do you think I am doing wrong? It's brand new. I fear I may have bought a lemon? I just want it to work thats all.

How do you lay it on the ice? Gas tank side up? And the gas cap leaks when the vent is shut off. Does everyone's do this? I guess I am disappointed. I thought I would be getting a better product than this.

12 answers to this question

My buddy has one and it does the same thing---actually he had two--he returned his original one because it ran horrible too. Even after adjusting the mixture screws it runs fine for a day, the next day it runs and starts bad again. My suggestion would be to return it and get one with the 2 horse---every srikemaster I have used with the two runs and starts great---plus they weigh less.

Jeff

so many lakes.....so little time

I have the same problem with my eskimo mako.

It ran great when I first assembled it. But when I got to the lake today, it took forever to start, was spitting gas out the muffler when I was trying to start it, and then once I got it started, it would die unless I had the throttle wide open.

Federal motor specs are more stringent for 3 hp than 2 hp. That's why 2hps are running better. It takes time to get the kinks worked out. If your 3 hp isn't running right, take it back to the auger dealer and kick up a fuss. NO reason what comes out of the box shouldn't perform well.

By the way, the big three (Strikemaster, Jiffy and Eskimo) use the same Tecumseh motors. That means that motor problems aren't the fault of the auger manufacturer, but of Tecumseh.

I also own an XL-3000, but it's seven years old and runs like a top.

If I had to replace it I'd probably go with a 2hp, considering the way the 3s are running.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 12-15-2003).]

Try synthetic oil. Gas/oil seperation can make for hard starting. also? If it don't run when new? Take it to an offical repair shop and have it adjusted. To keep up with the supply and demand they have to build these rather quickly and things can get out of whack, just like new automobiles.

------------------
Crappie:
It's the other white meat.

I had the same problem with the XL3000 last year. In fact got it at G M on sell. Could not even get mind to start and run. took it back and picked a lazer mag ultra. 2hp with the 3 blade 9" cut. starts and runs great and does it cut thru the ice.

O

I have a 2hp. runs great. I put stabil in it at the end of the season and I start it every couple of months for about 15 minutes or so. After sitting that long it takes about 10-12 pulls to get it started but after that usually 2-3 will get it started. I would not prime the auger after you used it, the primer is for starting and if it`s running bad take it back . Fish On

Take it to a service center and see what they can do for you because a couple years ago when I worked at a small engine shop we were changing carbs out under warrenty because of some recall I believe this might be work checking into. Like mentioned earlier they all used the same engines but that year it seemed that this was more of a problem on Strikemaster the only thing I can figure is that Strikemaster got a shipment of bad engines from Tecumseh.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

My eskimmo is the 2 hp so that isnt the problem. I don't have the time or patience to wait for re-work on a brand new motor.

I did see some recall stuff for some of the bigger tecumseh motors, but nothing with the 2 or 3 hp motors. But it was all carb recalls.

When I stand the auger straight up and open and close the throttle gas comes out everywhere. Something isnt connected right. and when I was trying to start it, on no-choke, gase was spraying out of the muffler.

Hasn't even cut a hole yet.

Im leaving for GM right now to take it back and exchange it. I wouldn't think they will have an issue replacing it.

[This message has been edited by korn_fish (edited 12-15-2003).]

Just got back from GM and they swapped power heads with their display model because they didn't have any in stock. They were getting a truck tomorrow, but I didn't want to wait that long to get back out fishing smile.gif we swapped the gas and started the new power head up and it worked like a charm.

[This message has been edited by korn_fish (edited 12-15-2003).]

You can try taking it directly to strikemaster in Big Lake, MN if you live close. I had problems with my xl-3000 and after two trips back, both times they swaped powerheads with me for brand new ones, they guy gave me a new 2hp three sets of blades and an extension. He said they couldn't refund any money because of the price difference so that is why he gave me all the extras. I've never had a bit of trouble from my 2hp and it's been six years since I got it.

It's worth a try anyway.