• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rod repair

waterwolff

Question

7 answers to this question

Is it the tip? If it is you can purchase a new tip a put it on yourself. If it is one of the other ones check out a place that builds rods. There used to be one in Richfield but they have closed. If you want a small fun project do it yourself. I built a rod a few years ago and putting on rod guides isn't that difficult. All you really need is a new guide, string and some poly sealant. Good luck.

It isn't the SW Metro, but Thorne Brothers up in Fridley (?) will do an excellent job. The rod repair is actually in The Fly Angler, which is the adjacent store. You can walk back and forth between the stores once inside.

pj4, Why do you figure that you need to put more guides on your ice rod? For the price of most ice rods you would be better off getting one that better meets your needs, that is unless you bought an expensive one to start with and then it stands to reason it would have been built right in the 1st place.

The biggest thing in guide numbers and spacing is to have the line basically follow the arc of the rod with no spots where there are real sharp angles in the line. Most 24 to 28 inch ice rods would work well with 3 guides and a tip top.

i have 2 rods that the second eyelet broke off and need to replace. also one rod with 2 eyes and a tip that was wondering if more would help. biggest problem is the the bobber stop catches on the tip sometimes when reeling in. i've changed the string and tighten the cr$p out of it and still does, mostly with fish on. so my thinking is add one eye behind the tip to help it bend the tip more and replace the tip with a larger opening,mabey easier for bobber stop to slide through? what do you think?

pj4,

You could try a tip with a larger diameter ring. The larger ring has a more rounded edge on the insert and might let the bobber stop pass easier.

I would do the guides for you, but I live on the range and I am sure you don't want to drive the far to have them replaced smile.gif