• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice auger rack on snowcat?

Tuna

Question

11 answers to this question

If you have a rack on the back of your cat, the IPI's are really nice. I just put them on mine, and they work great.

They are meant for an ATV, but I managed to make them work good on my widetrack.

I would think normal ATV rifle racks would work good too. The auger caddy is nice, but $400 bucks?

WT - have you used the racks over any distances? You mentioned you just got them so I'm wondering to what extent you've tried them. I've looked and looked and haven't come up with much, other than the ATV gun racks. I'd like to go without towing a sled on my laker trips this year. I own a '02 Panther with rack. Carrying capacity says 35 lbs and would like a simple solution without having to stabilize the body tunnel at all (I'm guessing my Jiffy is about that weight). I appreciate your input...

I tried the "gun rack" type racks and they broke. They just didn't seem to have enough strenght for the old Jiffy 30. I ended up building my own. I looked at the new auger mounts for ATV's, but threading that nylon strap through those brackets in the cold did not look all that great either. I build mine out of 1" copper tubing using elbows and T's. I inserted an oak dowel inside of the main tube for strength and used u-bolts to fasten them to the front bumper. It's hard to explain, but it works great for me.

I put on over 25 miles on lake of the woods last weekend. The IPI's hold rock solid.
It's a bit of a trick to get them setup right on a snowcat rack, but after some blue smoke (read, cussing) in the garage I figured a way to make it work. The velcro straps are a little bit of a pain, but they do hold real well, and each time I put it on it gets a bit easier.

Ripper:

Sorry I don't have any pictures... I picked it up from Cabelas. 39 bucks seems quit a bit for what they are, but I'd do just about anything to keep the auger out of my otter sled... It works great.

If you see me on the ice, stop over. I drive a green and black widetrack, and I'm either in a 1 man black otter, or a green otter lodge.

I have the IPI holder as well and they do a great job but I don't like the velcro it holds well but it is difficult to fasten and takes a lot of time when your hands are cold. So what I did was take my IPI gun holders and screwed them on the bases that go under the velcro pieces I left the auger drill end y yoke the same so now there are 3 y yokes on it the two gun holders for the handle of the auger and the bigger y yoke for the drill piece it works pretty good not as tight as the velcro but still pretty good.

Here is a picture of the system when it is new.

i521154sq02.jpg

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]